• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Sources for material for welding practice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtae07

Supporting Member
Anyone have some suggestions on getting steel for welding practice? I don't want to pay full price for good usable stock yet; I just want something I can make beads on for now and learn how to control the torch and filler before I start actually making things.

I've tried calling steel supply places looking for scrap and drops; some only sell to scrap dealers, and one said I could poke through their scraps--but the only stuff they had that was small enough and suitable for my use was in the "samples" box in the sales department :ermm:

I've emailed the local waterjet companies to see if they have scraps but no response yet.

I've inquired at work about scrap materials but no response there yet, either.

I have a couple of (quite rusty) pieces of rebar laying around; I guess they might be usable for stick welding practice?

Any other suggestions on places to ask or unusual/creative sources for usable practice material?

Eventually I'd like to move up to practicing on 4130 tube, but I'm not ready for that yet.

I considered electrical conduit (cheap!) but it's galvanized (bad).

Would hacksaw blades work?

Last edited:
Back