Source for 2024 tubing?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

dwalker

HBA Supporter
I need to buy the 1" x 0.035 2024-T3 tubing for my control surface torque tubes, and wondered if anyone had a reasonable and reliable source? I am all set to order from ACS but just looking for options.

EDITED for the correct size and to add the missing T number

Last edited:

henryk

I need to buy the 3/4"x .035 2024-T tubing for my control surface torque tubes, and wondered if anyone had a reasonable and reliable source? I am all set to order from ACS but just looking for options.
+2" x .035 ...? (2024 alloy)

BJC

HBA Supporter
3/4” is small for torque tubes. Lots of push-pull tubes that size in 6061 T6, though, which is cheaper.

BJC

dwalker

HBA Supporter
3/4” is small for torque tubes. Lots of push-pull tubes that size in 6061 T6, though, which is cheaper.

BJC
You are right, I had 3/4" on the brain, it is actually 1" x 0.035 2024 T3. I had considered 6061 but figured there is a reason they call for 2024 in the plans specifically.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
You are right, I had 3/4" on the brain, it is actually 1" x 0.035 2024 T3. I had considered 6061 but figured there is a reason they call for 2024 in the plans specifically.
If it is carrying torque, I agree with sticking to the plans. Maybe there is wiggle room in the torsional strength and maybe there is not. And you can not know…

TFF

Have you checked any of the metal suppliers in Nashville? There are two or three. They might not have it on the shelf, but it might be an easy piggyback on one of their regular orders.

dwalker

HBA Supporter
Have you checked any of the metal suppliers in Nashville? There are two or three. They might not have it on the shelf, but it might be an easy piggyback on one of their regular orders.
I am calling my local metal guy tomorrow on some other things and was going to ask him.

dwalker

HBA Supporter
AS&S, or maybe Shapiro in St. Louis.
Aircraft Spruce (which I for some reason still call ACS) does indeed have it, I have an order ready to be sent in, just wondered if there was an alternative source. ACS surprised me a bit with fairly competitive pricing and a reasonable backorder delivery, but you never know until you ask. The local fellow I buy metal through is checking with his suppliers but so far thier pricing is just about double ACS.

karmarepair

HBA Supporter
Tube Service is a Western US company unfortunately.
And they are high - if AS&S has what you need, they will be at least competitive. I was shocked by the pricing I got from my local Tube Service. Airparts sometimes has tubing, and when they do, it's cheap, but it was always pretty limited.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
These are the tubes the aileron, elevator,
Totally off topic but safety related:
Have there been any failures in the D'fly world of the hinge pin shown? In the Q world there have been a couple of the center elevator hinges - one discovered on the ground and another, unfortunately, in the air.
hinge.jpg

As designed if there is any distance in the area shown in red, or wear in the bushing, the threaded area of the cut down bolts is in bending. Not a good idea IMHO.
I machined new parts (QSM-2) for my Quickie with a substantial portion of the shank of the bolt inside aluminum turning before the threads started. Still not a really good solution but it makes me 'feel' a bit better.

Hinge Q.jpg

dwalker

HBA Supporter
Totally off topic but safety related:
Have there been any failures in the D'fly world of the hinge pin shown? In the Q world there have been a couple of the center elevator hinges - one discovered on the ground and another, unfortunately, in the air.
View attachment 118526

As designed if there is any distance in the area shown in red, or wear in the bushing, the threaded area of the cut down bolts is in bending. Not a good idea IMHO.
I machined new parts (QSM-2) for my Quickie with a substantial portion of the shank of the bolt inside aluminum turning before the threads started. Still not a really good solution but it makes me 'feel' a bit better.

View attachment 118527
That is a great question and as far as I know or can find reference to, there have been no hinge failures. I like what you have done though.