Quantcast

Sonex down at Whitman Field

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

WBNH

Would have been the Sport Acro demonstrator. No word yet on who was aboard. Will expect there to be lots of news on this one. Rest easy to all affected.

Last edited:

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter

FritzW

Log Member
That was one of the few news reports I've seen where the media didn't completely screw up the facts and over dramatize everything. They even called the Sonex "an airplane that can be built from a kit" instead of the usual "home made airplane built in a garage that was flying without a flight plan".

My prayers are with the family.

SVSUSteve

I heard about this from Hal Bryan at EAA. It's a shame. Jeremy was a nice guy. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Very sad. Prayers for the family.

Hard to tell from the story, but it sounds more like a deviation from the runway during rollout than a flight accident. The damage in the picture kind of goes along with that assessment.

azsportpilot

Very sad. Prayers for the family.

Hard to tell from the story, but it sounds more like a deviation from the runway during rollout than a flight accident. The damage in the picture kind of goes along with that assessment.
the pictures in this article make it appear that the plane crashed on top of some tall armored vehicles, as if it possibly was flying above them prior to the incident, very sad

Two dead in plane crash at Oshkosh Corp.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
the pictures in this article make it appear that the plane crashed on top of some tall armored vehicles, as if it possibly was flying above them prior to the incident, very sad

Two dead in plane crash at Oshkosh Corp.
I see what you mean. That photo is much more telling than the one I saw, yet one of the eyewitness accounts still makes it sound like a departure during rollout. Guess we'll have to wait for more detail.

TFF

Very sad. Im sure Oshkosh will hard to attend for them. Same trucks the Breezy went in to at last years Air Venture. I know during Oshkosh if departing on 36, they have you turn before crossing 9-27. Puts you over the trucks. If low and loose an engine, you will land on them.

azsportpilot

"Authorities closed the 300 block of West 23rd Avenue, from Montana to Minnesota streets, and a portion of Montana Street for several hours."... this looks like it is just short of rwy 22 in the North-East corner of the field

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wittman+Regional+Airport/@43.988024,-88.5520813,2630m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x8803ee9d7911d637:0x65ea5e97be9c4a07!6m1!1e1

The plane crashed into several Oshkosh Corp. trucks that were parked, looks like the industrial park across the train tracks, just East of the airport.. just south of W 23rd Ave

looks like they may have been on final approach (or turning base to final) for RWY 27 based on the crash location

Last edited:

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
have you turn before crossing 9-27. Puts you over the trucks. If low and loose an engine, you will land on them.
You're thinking about these trucks?
43.984512, -88.552667

It appears from the pics and description it was these trucks:
43.995114, -88.547777

Very sad development regardless.......

SVSUSteve

Given that it's a public generated wiki listing largely derived from media reports, I would consider anything posted there suspect until independently confirmed.

I talked to an local agency investigator friend on the phone a few minutes ago. They are still trying to sort out the stories from multiple conflicting witnesses. We probably won't have a solid answer until the NTSB gets hold of the tower controllers. Out of respect for Jeremy and his family who have done so much for the experimental community, perhaps we should hold off on the speculation until we have more evidence?

azsportpilot

Update... second occupants name released

OSHKOSH, Wis. — Sonex Aircraft officials are reporting that CEO Jeremy Monnett and assembly mechanic Mike Clark died June 2 in an accident involving Sonex Sport Acro N123SX at the east end of Wittman Regional Airport’s runway 9 around 3:30pm.

Sonex Sport Acro N123SX first flew in 2007, and has most-recently been fitted with the 100-hp AeroVee Turbo. The engine had accumulated approximately 25 hours of operation in the Sonex Aircraft test cell as part of the AeroVee Turbo development program, and approximately 50 flight hours on N123SX

Jon Ferguson

I am fairly surprised in this day and age a cell phone video hasn't cropped up. This is a terrible tragedy and my prayers go out to the family, friends, and the team at Sonex.

I listened to the OSH ATC recording, and they cleared Jeremy for takeoff from 09 just a couple of minutes prior to the reported accident time. I didn't hear any further related communication until about 24 minutes in when the tower mentions being aware of something 'over there' and that 911 called them. Start listening at 18 minutes in:

http://archive-server.liveatc.net/kosh/KOSH-Gnd-Twr-App-Jun-02-2015-2000Z.mp3

Very sad day indeed. :(

Chris