Sonex asking hmmm

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
Wow!!! Good catch, whoever you are!

I am assuming this has 'gone viral' within the Sonex community. I happened to see Pete Buck (Sonex designer) last weekend, and would have asked him about this, but I just saw this rudder horn issue when Bill posted the video.

THANK YOU Bill for posting this. I'll never be able to look at a Sonex sitting on the ramp again without remembering this.

ScaleBirdsScott

According to one comment from Sonex apparently, it's all due to builder deviation from the standard control horn linkage to do something that puts forces where they don't belong. Which makes some sense.

Since this guy seems to have not been the original builder, he's probably gonna have to deal with how to get that inspected and put into the as-intended configuration.

13brv3

Supporting Member
It's certainly an attention getter, and added something else I'll look at on pre-flights. As far as I know, it's a one-off issue though, and there are plenty of things a builder could do wrong to cause it. Glad he caught it, and posted the info for the rest of us to look out for.

Rusty

Daleandee

This is builder error. Anyone looking at the video should be able to clearly see the binding that is happening with the rod where it connects to the rudder drive horn. Kerry from Sonex explains it in the comments below the video. Using the proper hardware in the correct configuration would be a great idea i.e. "what do the plans say" ... :rolleyes:

Further ... the design on the Legacy Sonex rudder is different as I went to look at mine during preflight and took out my set of plans to confirm that on a Legacy Sonex the rudder drive plate is mounted on top of the bottom rib of the rudder & not below it. I was told (but cannot confirm) that the OneX has the rudder drive plate mounted below the bottom rib of the rudder. If so I cannot imagine why Jeremy would have deviated from Pete Buck's design when he downsized the Sonex into the OneX. But it was his baby to do.

So don't fret over seeing a properly built Sonex on a ramp as they will not, if properly built to plans, have this issue. As to the Onex ... I cannot confirm how the assembly is to be done. Still it seems that if the plans were followed this would not have been an issue.

Vigilant1

Supporting Member
Typical of the way things work now. -
- Find something wrong.
- Make a splashy video to get clicks
- Notify the NTSB

Do all that before gathering the facts. Like: "Is my plane built right?" What caused this?

It wouldn't have taken long at all for him to wait for Kerry's reply, and the video would have been more useful, containing correct information from the get-go. But, now he'll get a whole new set of clicks when he issues an "update."

pylon500

A good catch, and worrisome from the change from plan aspect, but what really annoyed me was the clickbait image used to get views.
A different aircraft damaged in an unrelated way.
Youtube I guess.

Tom DM

Supporting Member
EBGB Grimbergen airfield (N of Brussels, Belgium)
Typical of the way things work now. -
- Find something wrong.
- Make a splashy video to get clicks
- Notify the NTSB

Do all that before gathering the facts. Like: "Is my plane built right?" What caused this?

It wouldn't have taken long at all for him to wait for Kerry's reply, and the video would have been more useful, containing correct information from the get-go. But, now he'll get a whole new set of clicks when he issues an "update."

These are the days of "attention getters", the you-tube-click-junkies. While there are indeed great you-tubers, sooner of later they run out of imagination or -as they call it- content.Very very often things go then to sad exhibition and sheer stupidity.

Becoming a "you-tuber" as a profession looks (to me) not the smartest move: on one side making/editing etc of the video seems a lot of work, on the other side a mayor corporation benefits far more greatly (I think) from the man's hard work.

As to the Sonex/ I almost died- video: maybe it was real concern, maybe not. However such videos and messages can do great harm to the company which might not be the responsible partie. Better should have been that the poster of that video had first done extra research , contacted Sonex and then posted his video

Tiger Tim

Does anyone have a picture of what that area is supposed to look like? The way that tail wheel steering rod loads the rudder horn while taxiing is freaky. No wonder something let go.

rick9mjn

hell-o.... see the last 2 post of this link...https://sonexbuilders.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6934
........if this does not work do search for "sonexbuilders" and "interesting video on rudder bracket failure"
and after seeing the photo the words of "mounting on the on the bottom will jump out"
good day....be safe./ rick

13brv3

Supporting Member
None of the pictures in that thread are from a Onex. For the Onex, the bottom rudder rib is face down, flange up, and it's even with the skin. The thicker rudder drive plate is rivetted to the bottom of that. From what I can see, the drive plate appears to be correct, though we don't know if the builder used the correct rivets. Technically, it would be better practice to have the factory head on the thinner piece, which would be the rib, not the thicker drive plate. There are a lot of rivets, and I haven't heard of this being a problem with any other Onex.

The geometry of the actuating arm is the biggest issue here I imagine.

Rusty

Last edited:

ScaleBirdsScott

I would think it prudent to have a doubler inside the rib that the rivets hold to, and/or a few bolts. But not my design and it's probably perfectly fine.

Reactions: BJC