• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Sonerai-esque, side-by-side

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyvray

I am sketching up a 3 view for a two seat, side by side seating, steel tube fuselage aircraft. I am on the fence between metal wings or composite wings. Some thoughts, and questions:

1) steel tube mainly for durability, crash protection, and it's really not that slow vs other construction if all the itty bitty tabs are minimized
2) wings - I'm not a big fan of sheet metal construction. I prefer composites for wings and tails. Just an opinion. Likely a Hershey bar or a slight taper. Cantilever, foldable.
3) SBS seating - Nothing beats a single place but getting kids and newbies up I think SBS is better, and roomy when flying solo. And I just don't fancy the look of the Sonerai 2 front seat area.
4) Mission profile - I personally love the Sonerai aircraft. They are a tiny bit hotter than I want. I do love the low wing look but need shorter strip capability, LSA range. Envision a Sonerai with a different airfoil, longer wing, maybe narrower chord (higher aspect ratio).
5) simplicity is key- flat panel canopy (PIK26) like Eaves Skeeter (another inspiration, but maybe a tad fast) - If I can make it look good.

So, I'm working up a sketch for something like a mix between a Sonerai and an Avid, or Kolb Laser. There just aren't any low wing steel tube aircraft I can find. Composite structure (maybe tubing...) wings with fabric cover. Engine - I'm leaning towards the Suzuki car engines or Yamahas with redrives - I know they are more complex than a Vw, but I'm thinking a bit more prop for slower end 2 person capability.

I don't own Sonerai plans but would love to have or see a set- particularly the wing/fuse interaction and folding. I may buy a set if no one has any to share.

I appreciate thoughts on it. Pics added for interest!L-Eaves.jpg Son 02.jpg sonerai  2s single.JPG sonerai 2-1.jpg RCL-1.jpg

Back