Quantcast

SOmething WOOD that the kids at school could make!

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Captain_John

Hey All!

Tonight after chatting it up with the Carpentry instructor (who is interested in flying and his sister has a PPL) we thought that a wooden project might be something interesting for the kids to tinker with... perhaps even fly one day!

Me!?! I could fly it. I could oversee the project. I just don't knwo what WOODEN projects are out there!

Can ya gimme some options!?!

I am thinking 2 seats, any configurations, low power and STOL.

Whatcha got?

:gig: CJ

cgwendling

This sounds like a grand project for kids. Just plan on to double the cost for materials. I can remember my days in school wood shop. I butchered many a piece of wood before I got it right!:D
Fisher flying products has eight two seat models that are of wood construction, they range from look-a-like cubs, 150's,140's to biplanes.
The plans are huge. On my avenger I had a full size fusalage print!
There are a lot of wood plans out there but this wood (get it!) :) be a starting pointFisher

Captain_John

Thanks Guys!!!

I want something that is plans built. Does the Fisher stuff come plans only> It doesn't look like it.

OTOH, the RW 26 looks cool! I think the kids (and I) could get excited about it!!!

It DOES seem to come plans only too!

Hmmmm, a nice little open cocklpit BIPE would be really nice and would get some good positive press for the school!

Captain_John

I just left a voicemail for Roger Mann who designs the RagWings.

It looks just like what the doctor ordered!

Hmmm, I hope I can make this fly... LITERALLY!

:ban: CJ

wally

Good luck!

If you want to buy a kit, you might try one of these http://www.loehle.com/ Really cool looking planes when you are done. I don't think they sell just plans tho. It might be quicker and probably easier than just from plans. All wood too.

A friend built one several years ago. He thought it, the 5151 mustang, came out a little tail heavy but other than that, it was a really neat plane.
Wally

Captain_John

Thanks Wally, but no kits. The whole object is to get the kids into reading plans and making a product from it.

I will CERTAINLY let you guys know if I get a green light on this from the superintendent!

:whistle: CJ

cgwendling

I bought plans only from Fisher, but you have to dig deep in the web site to find which ones that are offered in a plans only. Not all are.:confused:

Rhino

These guys might be able to provide some insight and suggestions, since they promote just such building projects for kids. Lyn Freeman is a great guy. He's also the editor of Plane & Pilot.

http://www.buildaplane.org/

Captain_John

Hey All!

I spoke with Roger Mann at Ragwing and he is sending the school a copy of the RW26 Special plans!

:ban:

This is something really cool that the kids can sink their teeth into!

I have been doing www.youngeagles.org flights with them and they are really liking this whole "flying" thing!

The Carpentry shop guys are going to look the plans over and we can start making ribs as soon as we get organized!

This could be an interesting project!

Russell Myles

Don't dismiss the Loehle kits too quickly...

I got an email from Tom Preuss former President of the Replica Fighters Association who said, in answer to my question "Any problems with the kits or plans?"...

"The plans are a bit confusing if you have never built a kit. The drawings are crowded with information that is difficult for some, including me to decifer. You can puzzle it out, however. Especially if you have access to someone who has some experience building wood airplanes"

They do produce a 5151 or P40 "Rudder confidence kit" for about $100 or so which may help you, the teacher and the kids decide.

JDT also produce a Minimax fin starter kit which might fire up their enthusiasm?

Me, I've no medical at the moment so a 16" wingspan P40 will have to do me!

Minimax Starter Kit

Loehle 5151

Replica Fighters Association

Captain_John

Thanks Russ!

I suppose I should have updated this thread a bit earlier than this. We now have plans for the Ragwing Special II Model 26!

Roger Mann was gracious enough to donate a set of plans to us for THE GOOSE! Thanks Roger!

The carpentry instructors are pawing them over right now and running it past the powers that be and soon, we will be gluing together some ribs!

I PROMISE to take some pictures as we progress! One of the kids (a freshman, who will spend his next 4 years in carpentry) is excited about the project and has already been for a www.youngeagles.org flight with me! He is all pumped up about the project and I hate to let him down!

Stay tuned!

:D CJ

IanJ

John, I'm interested to hear of your progress -- I'm looking into a Ragwing Special II as being an interesting plane to build myself. I'm particularly interested in how realistic their "400 man-hour" claimed build time is, although I'm sure the skill and/or enthusiasm mismatch between myself and a class of high school students will skew things a little bit. ;)

Captain_John

Gents,

I am sorry to say there has been no progress made on the project since I gave the plans to the carpentry instructor. He was all gung ho when I ordered the plans and yet has done nothing. I am kinda ticked at him. He is like that. Now that the ball is in his court, he hasn't said much about it.

I will bug him again when school starts back up again. I have been giving one of his students Young Eagle rides and I will have the kid bug him for me!

P.S. Maybe if they don't build it, I will when I am done with the RV!

Othman

Perhaps the Ragwing Special is a bit too complicated. Looks like it would have a high build time (kind of discouraging). Maybe something like the Evans VP-1 or 2 "Volksplane" would be more suitable for high school students to build.

The fuselage is a big box and the ribs are cut from plywood. Sure they won't get to practice precision wood working as much, but at least they will master the basics and see the progress.

Also, costwise it's probably more along the lines of the school budget.

IanJ

The Ragwing at least claims to have a surprisingly low build time (they claim 400 man hours). That seems well within the capabilities of a year-long shop class with 20 students. Of course, claimed build time and actual build time can vary significantly. ;)

Captain_John

I like the looks of the RW 26. I also like the choice of engines. The Contimental is high on my list.

I can't find info on the VP-2. It must be a 2 seater. Where can I find specs?

:depressed CJ

IanJ

I haven't yet seen any 2-seaters that look like they'd fly happily behind a VW engine -- the VWs are a bit heavy and underpowered for hauling two people aloft, unless they're really skinny people. :D

Looks like the VP-2 is a side-by-side two-seater: http://www.kiwiaircraftimages.com/evansvp.html

They're supposed to be easy to build, from what I've read, but then, so are the Ragwings. It sounds like your carpenter needs a fire lit under his butt more than that you need to be looking at other designs, though. You've got a fine set of plans, but bureaucracy has tripped you up!

Last edited:

Captain_John

Ian, you are right on many levels.

The 2 seater thing is a personal requirement. Why would a kid want to work hard on a project if he/she knows that it will never take them aloft?

Hence, 2 seats...

:grin: CJ