Someone finally built a manned "drone" and its worse than anyone expected

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Doggzilla

HBA Supporter
I stand corrected.

But only if the aircraft is moving. If it’s hovering then it’s still fooked.

lr27

That pilot was both lucky and unlucky. I don't know how much of each.

Dan Thomas

At least on these vehicles you have somewhere to put a BRS to shoot straight up, unlike a helicopter and some pushers.
A ballistic chute could fire in the wrong direction. Unlike most fixed-wing airplanes that get into trouble, a drone could tumble with the loss of symmetrical lift, and the 'chute could be sent straight down toward the ground. Not such a good idea if the altitude is already minimal, or if the drone falls into the 'chute.

cblink.007

I'm perturbed enough already about this Remote ID NPRM......invasive species are pushing traditional modelers into the dust bin.
I could not agree with you more. I got my start in aeromodeling, like many here, and still use modeling to validate designs and concepts. And for years, we did our own thing under the guidance of the AMA and a dedicated membership, committed to safety and responsible promotion of the hobby. However, the uncontrolled and dangerous acts of way too many drone enthusiasts continue to ruin it for all of us. Of all the model airplane kits I ever built as a kid, there was always stuff in there encouraging membership in the AMA. Why? To promote and sustain the hobby in a responsible manner. Do you see any of this in quadracopter kits? Nope. And now we see the result.

I know alot of drone enthusiasts. But for my telling them, they had no clue that the AMA even existed! Very telling. All that being said, just about all drone modelers I have met operate safely and responsibly, so I am not attacking the majority. Just the few ruining it for the rest!

I am spearheading a push in my EAA chapter to bring a local aeromodeling club into our sphere. I commend EAA for fighting for the aeromodeling community, and given the model building / homebuilding link, it is long since time to bring our two communities together. It's mutually beneficial!

Last edited:

choppergirl

Choppergirl's Flying Circus ★★☠★★ AIR-WAR.ORG
Weren't the Saturn V rocket ships incredibly inefficient and unsafe? Sitting on a fuel air explosive bomb that gobbled 20 TONNES (40,000 lbs) of fuel PER SECOND.

So what can be done to improve performance and safety? Because we all know the stuff NASA builds is unsafe and someone is going to get killed. Er, someones, quite a few someones, actually (past tense).

Last edited:

Doggzilla

HBA Supporter
Increasing the power density about 30% so that if a motor fails the other 4 can take over. Yes, 4, because any motor failure requires the opposite motor stop to avoid flipping it over.

Upsizing the motors and rotors might add another 5% to weight, but vastly improve safety.

Doggzilla

HBA Supporter
I wonder if anything like that is commercially available from another industry,

If not, using 4-6 ejection seat charges with a proximity sensor may be capable of decelerating it safely.

The real issue for any system is making sure it works at unusual angles AT LOW AIRSPEED. I’m not sure anything so far meets those requirements.

crusty old aviator

So, where is Choppergirl in this thread? Big quads seem to be her latest fad...is this too advanced for her, or just too far out of her league? Or maybe she’s moved on to another fad, like snowmobiling in the Antarctic.

cheapracer

Log Member
Parachutes only work above a certain height.
You are referring to maximising effective'ness of the chute, but if you are at half that height, then chances are the chute will still knock off some speed, and that might make all the difference.

So, where is Choppergirl in this thread?
Umm, post #48 above, it's falls between post #47 and post #49.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Weren't the Saturn V rocket ships incredibly inefficient and unsafe?
The Saturn V booster rocket had a perfect record. They were just efficient enough to get the job done.

Space flight is hazardous. So is flying ultralights, riding motorcycles, and crossing the street.

BJC

wktaylor

CR, all... this is also termed an 'optionally manned aircraft'... humans may/may not be aboard.

Safety factors in-mind for our universally pink-on-the-inside-bodies... since this vehicle appears to have no aerodynamic lift, stabilizers or controls or forward propulsion… failed-motors/props/electronics/batteries/etc... could make a very bad day/lifetime for our survivors.

BTW... open/fixed motors/props are likely the simplest/lightest/lowest-drag option for 'fixed' lift propulsors, when in horizontal flight relative to ducted fans [except with rotating mechanisms around the props] in-transition from vertical to horizontal flight. Ducted fans cases come with structural complexity, weight and aerodynamic interference [burble/wake in horizontal flight]… and probably vibration and dimensional variability considerations. Also, I suspect that the electric motors run very 'hot' so thermal control [hot/moderate/freezing environments] represent a major challenge.

Group Builder