Someone finally built a manned "drone" and its worse than anyone expected

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Doggzilla

HBA Supporter

Tiger Tim

Gotta start somewhere. The Wright brothers staggered along for 120 feet on their first flight and wrote the plane off shortly after.

dog

If it is man carrying it is not a drone. Please don't assist the media in redefining things.
As much as I detest the general practice of redefing words.I have been thinking about this
one for a while.....comes back to the grade school
kids, most of whome live under class A,B,C space and rarely if ever get a good look at an actual factual small airplane,something that there
imaginations imediately put them ,well you remember right.But they have "quadra copters" and "drones" and well that is what a whole generation knows,and lo and behold they have invented personal flight.Be proud of them.

Bradsopex

I saw where DCL built their prototype for the manned "drone" racing (can hardly call it a drone if it has a pilot inside), but I think it's pretty neat. They got a CF monocoque from the Torro Rossi F1 team and used that as the base.

Really, just gotta approach safety the same as F1, keep it light but survivable. This is built for a racing series, not commercial sale, so there is already an inherent risk.

Bradsopex

Manned multi-rotor was always going to be a logical next step, so I'm not surprised. The thought of wheeling something like this out of your garage and flying to work is inspiring to most (and probably a bit terrifying for most of the people here). Don't worry though! The FAA will step in and slap down a huge book full of regulations to make owning and operating one insanely expensive and in general be a buzzkill.

Tiger Tim

The thought of wheeling something like this out of your garage and flying to work is inspiring to most
I used to commute six miles to work (from my semi-rural home to an airport) so something like the Blackfly would have been awesome, not just for over-the-traffic convenience but also just to be ‘that guy.’ I now commute 500+ miles so it’s a lot less appealing.

lr27

If "drone" now means "multi copter", what do we call real drones? There have been manned versions of those drones for many years. For instance, the B.A.T. Monoplane was a manned version of a primitive missile. (WW1? just after?). Some drones have been tested first with human pilots. The Scaled Composites Raptor was sometimes tested with an underpaid pilot sitting on top. And many manned aircraft have been converted into drones, especially target drones.

BTW, this isn't the earliest manned multi copter. Not by a long shot. How far back you can find one depends mostly on how hard you look. The de Bothezat quad rotor flew in 1922. E-Volo flew a manned electric multi copter in 2011. The Yuri I human powered quad rotor helicopter flew in 1994 (for 19 seconds). If you're really narrow in your definition of multi copter, the de Bothezat had pitch controls and, as far as I know, the Yuri I might have, but that leaves the E-Volo contraption and probably some others.

lr27

I wouldn't want the next door neighbors to have one, except possibly if they kept the exact same hours! Must be noisy. Come to think of it, there would be a lot of junk blowing around, too. I once had to dodge a Huey-propelled milk crate that was moving at a pretty good clip.

Doggzilla

HBA Supporter
Performance wise, 87mph with 217hp is about as efficient as the largest microturbines. Its extremely poor performance.

In fact, they could just run ducted fans if that level of efficiency is acceptable. A single fan from Malish PJ-II has almost as much thrust as this entire setup, and runs off something like 175hp. Except it can go twice as fast.

Doggzilla

HBA Supporter
If you define it you own it. Thats why they used 'drone' to define a multi copter. It has an ominous tone to the public.
And probably a lot to do with being tone deaf. A lot of the early adopters were neckbeard types who didnt really understand the negative connotation of "drone".

Thats one of the reasons its really important to choose your audience, because the wrong audience can cause everyone else to reject your product by association.

This is a huge problem with small inventors and homebuilt aircraft. Being championed by basement dwelling trolls is generally very bad for someones reputation.