Somebody better get this ! Baby Ace flyable C-85 $5500!

Discussion in 'For Sale & Wanted' started by Victor Bravo, Aug 15, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Aug 15, 2019 #1

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

2. Aug 15, 2019 #2

Marc W

Marc W

Marc W

I live about 4 miles from that airplane. If I fit in it, I would own it. It is a question whether the airplane is flyable. It has not been flown or had the engine run in many years. It was stored inside and this is a dry climate so it may indeed start right up and fly away but you know how that goes!

3. Aug 15, 2019 #3

TFF

TFF

TFF

I bet cash on the spot talks. Lucky I’m too far away. Need to get my junk going.

4. Aug 16, 2019 #4

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

Armchair Mafia Conspirator HBA Supporter

How small does one have to be to fit in a Baby Ace?

5. Aug 16, 2019 #5

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

I'm 6' 2" and the leg room was too short. I'm guessing +/- 5' 10" would be the tallest guy that would be comfortable.

mcrae0104 likes this.
  6. Aug 16, 2019 #6

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

Armchair Mafia Conspirator HBA Supporter

Bummer. I'm within striking distance geographically but not in stature.

7. Aug 16, 2019 #7

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

I have to admit that I haven't missed very many meals in the last (@*$& years, and I fit in it without too much problem. I'm sure I weighed 225 when I flew the one I flew. But I'm not a tall guy, maybe 5'8" or so. Width was not the issue. Can't speak for height.

A C-85 Continental takes quite a bit of effort to get it to NOT run. If it has been sitting inside, and it has not had alcohol-laced fuel sitting in it for months or years, changes are it will run. This is not to say that the carburetor might not need to be cleaned and adjusted, but at this price even if there was no carburetor included it would be a steal.

The Bendix (or Marvel) carburetors on these are dirt simple, there isn';t a bunch of critical diaphragms and a hundred seals like if it was a PS-5C

8. Aug 16, 2019 #8

TFF

TFF

TFF

I think fitting can be addressed in little ways. I know of a 6-5 guy that flew short fuselage Pitts for years. I think crawling in is harder. Cockpit is under the wing. Worst is to try it on and answer is no. Best is you go home with it. It’s one of the best homebuilts for a plane that is just a flyer.

9. Aug 16, 2019 #9

Marc W

Marc W

Marc W

I looked at it over a month ago. Seems to me the carb is a Stromberg. The builder was a small man. Incidentally he flew Corsairs in the Marine Corps. His son is selling it and he isn't tall either. I am 6'1" and wear a 32" inseam. The wings are off and it took some effort to get my knees under the instrument panel and they were hard against the bottom of the panel. I couldn't fly it like that. It might be possible to raise the panel and move or rerig the rudder pedals so they are farther forward but I didn't look at that. I don't think I could get in or out of it with the wings on. There wouldn't be much headroom with the wings on it.

It is just a few miles from my house. I can go take another look at it if somebody has specific questions about the details. It does not have an electrical system. No starter.