SOLO - single seat sport plane

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by Rienk, Apr 15, 2013.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Apr 15, 2013 #1

Rienk

Rienk

Rienk

Well friend, after a hiatus of a couple years (attending to keeping my main business out of bankruptcy) we are finally seeing some daylight at the end of the tunnel, and are able to pull some of our aircraft projects out of the closet, dust them off, and get back to work - albeit slowly.
    We have recently begun working on our engine development for the Solo again. We will be offering several iterations of several core engines, based on the Generac and the Weber.

We were fortunate to be included in the May issue of Kitplanes magazine, as a part of Dean Sigler's article.
    It has been the kick in the pants that we have needed to get going again! However, we are extremely limited on space and personnel this time around, so I'm not exactly sure how long it will take to get something flying, but we are hoping for sometime this year. Once we actually have a few in the air, and go through the anticipated improvements and modifications, we will then begin the task of ASTM certifying the airframe and engines. Right now, it's all a pipe dream, but we do not intend to give up. We will eventually get the Envoy project going as well.

I won't be making any regular announcements about our development, probably until the first one is flying.
    But I just wanted to say "Hi" and let you know I'm still alive and kicking, and may eventually approach some of you to assist us in different components of our development (if and when funds allow).

Blessings, Rienk

Attached Files:

2. Apr 15, 2013 #2

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Good luck with your project, I believe there is a market for a small single seat.

Still wondering however, is it possible to get ASTM approval for the Generac engine?
    How do you comply with quality control ?

3. Apr 15, 2013 #3

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

Well Rienke I am starting an airframe and an engine company these day so looking at various projects to do in the short future, what do you need .....

4. Apr 15, 2013 #4

Rienk

Rienk

Rienk

Quality control is no different for this engine than for any other. Just like the Thielert that buys their engines from Mercedes, strips them down and then adds stuff to them to make them appropriate for aircraft use.
    The parts from these mass produced engines should actually be easier to certify than small run custom parts.
    Of course, we won't be certifying a anyone else's engine... we'll be certifying an "AyersCraft" engine, that gets it's parts form various vendors. Anyone else who wants to use a similar combination of parts and suppliers will have to go through the certification process themselves, or buy the engines from us.

5. Apr 15, 2013 #5

Rienk

Rienk

Rienk

Send me an email and we can discuss what you have to offer.
    Thanks!

6. Apr 15, 2013 #6

berridos

berridos

berridos

If you develop a reduction drive for the weber please dont forget to allow for a hole in the gear box to be able to use constant speed prop. Its something i am missing in the other providers of weber engines. I will buy one in 2 or 3 years as my project matures.

By the way, are you looking at the new 850cc weber? Up to now only the 750cc was used.

7. Apr 15, 2013 #7

Cy V

Cy V

Cy V

I remember reading about this project a couple of years ago and had wondered on occasion what happened to it. Best of luck!

8. Apr 15, 2013 #8

saini flyer

saini flyer

saini flyer

Reink, maybe you should also consider the new Subaru 40HP that was posted by CyV http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/f...15183-subarus-new-40hp-industrial-engine.html

It looks like a re batched Generac with (hopefully) fuel injection that is getting the power up form 33-36Hp to 40HP. I have tried to look up online but did not find any more details but will pick FI to carb. Well June is two months away so we will know by then.

9. Apr 18, 2013 #9

Rienk

Rienk

Rienk

The gear box we have right now does not have a hole for constant speed, though we may be able to make allowances for it. We had it built by AutoFlight (took three years to finally get it), but it won't allow us to get full rpm out of the motor, so we're probably going to have to abandon that one and start over.
    The engine we have now is the 750, which has an external alternator - which we prefer. The newer 850 only offers an internal stator, so we'll have to figure that out. We are ordering a TC850, so we'll soon be working on all the engine variations together - now we need to figure out the PSRU ratios so we can order some more props!

10. Apr 18, 2013 #10

Rienk

Rienk

Rienk

Thanks for the tip!
    I responded on that thread - but in essence, these engines are OEMed for anyone, and for the most part, the exact same engine. But EFI would be huge, so I'll keep my out for it. If anyone learns anything more about it, please let me know!

11. Apr 18, 2013 #11

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

I thought your " Generac and Weber" comment in post #1 meant Generac engine with Weber carb. (As sold for aviation purpose by Valley Engineering for ultralights)

But with some web surfing I found there is a Weber Engine Company from Germany:Weber Motor: MPE 750

My question is:
    Will Generac or Weber sell complete or partial engines, while knowing the end use is aviation?

12. Apr 18, 2013 #12

Rienk

Rienk

Rienk

The engines we will be providing will be AyersCraft engines, which is how they will be certified.

13. Apr 18, 2013 #13

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Yes, you already said that.
    The question remains, have you asked these engine companies if they will sell the engines to you for conversion into aviation use?
    It seems to me that these engine companies could still be sued.( even if sold as Ayrecraft)
    And they have bigger pockets than your company.

Again, I hope it works. It's just hard for me to believe they would sell for aviation.

14. Apr 18, 2013 #14

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

I will but not until after the weekend sorry as there is another round of relevent discussions happening over the next few days.

15. Apr 18, 2013 #15

berridos

berridos

berridos

Yes weber sells for aviation use

16. Jul 26, 2013 #16

Rienk

Rienk

Rienk

We've been trying to track down the Subaru engine, and become a dealer. But then we found out that the larger V-twins they make WON'T be EFI - what a bummer.
    In the meantime, we are looking at getting a new Weber 850, and hope that the pending discussions about a dual ignition develop into an actual option!

17. Sep 1, 2013 #17

Rienk

Rienk

Rienk

Just a quick update.

We've been waiting to see what happens with the Weber 850 regarding dual ignition. We may be buying a setup from SME to get started; they've done much more R&D than we have, and seem to be willing to help out.
    We are still looking into the Subaru engine, which is (literally) an improved Generac, with FI and a little weight savings. Apparently, they may be badging engines for Generac soon.

We are hoping to make an offer on a new (additional) building this week, so that we can have a little room to grow. If successful, we will move our main business (that pays the bills) into that building, and use our current facility to work on airplanes. Then we can actually pull all our molds out of the mothballs and start working on composite parts again.

We'll then to some destructive testing on the Solo parts (break a wing, tail, etc) and then start building assembly jigs. It's kind of a pain to not have alignment holes and marks in all our molds, so we'll need to get those figured out from the first couple of aircraft, so that we can make production tooling much less time consuming (we're shooting for a total of 400 man hours per plane - start to finish).

Sure hope to have some more (good) news by the end of September!

18. Sep 1, 2013 #18

berridos

berridos

berridos

Hi Rienk

SME doesnt answer anymore my mails. As I am building around that engine I would love to hear your opinion on a couple of issues related to the weber 850.
    Do you believe this radiator would be enough to cool the weber? In fact it is to big but it is the smallest I could find apart from motorbike radiatiors and i dont have space in my design.
    Civic 3 Row Radiator | eBay

How is it that they have increased the output to 135hp. Is it the new 850ccm3 indtead of 750ccm3?

Could that engine live without any airflow at all except the cooling coming from the radiator? Do the colectors need fresh airflow?

19. Sep 2, 2013 #19

Rienk

Rienk

Rienk

The radiator you show should be more than enough, we hope to use one much smaller than that. What the engine can live with will take experimentation. However, there are a number of uses where the engine is fairly enclosed - but it still may need some additional airflow... I don't really know.

The 135 hp is for the TC version - we intend to use it mostly for turbo-normalizing; and yes, that is based on the 850.

20. Sep 2, 2013 #20

berridos

berridos

berridos

Thx.
    Couldnt you give some hints of the radiator you have in mind?
    I will modify the cnc plug based on the radiator dimension and therefor it becomes a major issue for my project. I saw the 1199 ducati radiator (incredibly expensive) or the yamaha 1200 vfr radiators. Thought a double core even less efficient would allow for a smaller area.
    What is distinctive and i like very much of the SME gearbox is the length of the PSRu. It allows a very aerodynamic fairing.

Have you thought about a prop? I get as an ideal prop a 82 inch prop for optimum cruise. Would you say thats right? Or would you stay to a 72 inch prop with constant speed? I need weight in the nose.