SNS---Simple Navigation System idea

Discussion in 'Instruments / Avionics / Electrical System' started by Aerowerx, Jul 19, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jul 24, 2017 #41

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

There are about 44,000 airports in the world.

If you pack the lat and long into 32 bit binary integers, you would need 8 bytes. The ICAO code would need 4 more bytes, so that is 12 bytes for each airport. That is over 528 k of memory needed, which would require a SD card of some kind on the Arduino.

Even with just the USA you would require over 180k.

And then how would you handle airports that don't have an ICAO code?

2. Jul 25, 2017 #42

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Self defined icao - Bluetooth integration to smart phone app to set coordinates and update database ;)

3. Aug 17, 2017 #43

Pilotgil

Pilotgil

Pilotgil

I have the code now working for the Simple NAV System. The database is limited to just over 46,000 entries and is contained on an SD card. The math and GPS data string processing are working. The display is a 128 x 64 LCD and it fits in a 2 1/4 inch round panel hole. I'm next working on the graphic. Airport ID entry is simple. Still much more work to do. Fun project.

4. Aug 17, 2017 #44

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

Pics? Screenshots? Show us more! ;-)

5. Aug 22, 2017 #45

Pilotgil

Pilotgil

Pilotgil

The first pic is of the 16x2 LCD with the calculated nav data. This is real GPS data and the system doing the calcs. The database is on an SD Card. It's my own database from public resources pulled from the internet; however, I designed it to be a text file so a user could use Notepad to make user waypoints. The user enters the Airport ID and the system calculates a DTO. The 16x2 LCD is just for test, I have test flown it already and works fine. Used in next to my GTN650 and for $50 in parts, pretty darn good! But the graphic LCD is a bit tricky as I have to watch the digital I/O but the design is complete but I still have to code the graphics and user interface. Most of the graphics exist in libraries I already wrote for my other instruments. The Solidworks image is of the design of the SimpleNav Case.

TRM is the Airport ID. 372.5 is the distance. 128 the course. 0 is speed (pic is with it sitting on the bench). 9.59 is the time (the code maximum for this version is 9 hours and 59 minutes) because the speed is zero, I'll have code that deals with that issue later. I'll get fancy with the graphics.

Gil

SNS V0.1.jpg Capture.JPG

pictsidhe, Aerowerx, Wayne and 2 others like this.
  6. Aug 22, 2017 #46

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Are you going to add a big arrow to show desired relative heading? Straight up for target dead ahead?

7. Aug 22, 2017 #47

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Read his last post carefully. The 16x2 alphanumeric display is for testing. Graphics display is forthcoming.

8. Aug 23, 2017 #48

Pilotgil

Pilotgil

Pilotgil

I'll build a CDI that will auto-set. I'm also going to add airspeed, VSI, and altitude in the unit. All those functions now work (but separately in test) and I have test flown each for many hours. The graphics will be housed on my standard display that I use for my instruments. In the attached pic is my engine analyzer (I had just started the engine).
    EIS.jpg

BJC, Wayne and cluttonfred like this.
  9. Aug 23, 2017 #49

Pilotgil

Pilotgil

Pilotgil

The above image shows water pressure at 10psi, water temp at 145 degrees, hours 15.8 (I didn't add the time on the entire airplane yet as I'm testing the unit), volts 14.7, amps 1.1 charge, the EGT lower limit is 600 degrees so I should have waited a few more seconds before taking this pic), and RPM is 1460...

10. Aug 25, 2017 #50

Pilotgil

Pilotgil

Pilotgil

I now have the magnetometer coded and a crude CDI (remember the 16x2 LCD is just for testing of the basic math and logic, real graphics later). The pic shows the heading (68H - I'll have to code the leading 0 but that is for the graphics implementation level, meaningless at this point. The so called arrow ">" after the "H" is the "turn to the right" to get on course. All the data is internal such as CRS, TRK, HDG and I'll spend some time playing with what makes sense (at least what I need - which is just point me to the airport, how far, and how long to get there) with the "SNS" concept. I'll fly the "compass" tomorrow for a first look after a final calibration. I may get side tracked on tweaking the VSI code on my altimeter for a few weeks before getting back to the SNS. I may, just decide, to take these core sensors and make it a remote ADAHRS. We will see after a tech conference in September. So the Airport Waypoint is "TRM", the distance 372.5 nm, 128 degrees for the course, 068 for the heading, 0 on the speed since I'm at a bench and 9.59 is the max displayed time (no speed). I'll code "---" or something like that at some point.

IMG_3666 (2).jpg

Aerowerx and Wayne like this.
  11. Sep 19, 2017 #51

Pilotgil

Pilotgil

Pilotgil

The circuit board arrived and I am trying out the mechanical fit. All looks good. 2 1/4 inch hole and just over an inch behind the panel (plus the connector).

IMG_4276.jpg

mcrae0104 likes this.