Sneak Peek

Discussion in 'Instruments / Avionics / Electrical System' started by Rick Galati, Mar 19, 2003.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Mar 19, 2003 #1

Rick Galati

Rick Galati

Rick Galati

Overheard on another website...... UPS is going to introduce a new product or product line on April 2. I do know that rumors have been swirling around for several months. Anyway, the buzz (according to the website) is don't commit to a new radio stack until you see what UPS is about to unveil. :confused:

2. Apr 12, 2003 #2

John Slade

John Slade

John Slade

OK, I saw their stuff at Sun & Fun. Looks nice, but it's just as far out of reach as the Garmin 530. Anyone know where I can find a nice moving map GPS and COM for < $3k?
    :(

3. Apr 16, 2003 #3

Craig

Craig

Craig

John -
    I am using a Microair transceiver (about $1,000) and Garmin 195 (about $1,000). Total including antennae, etc. is less than $2,500. I am trying to add the Microair transponder, ACK encoder, which will add another $1,500 or so.

I have been very pleased with the installations, but can't figure out how to run the GPS coax up to my center section - the 3/8" tube I used for the wiring conduit is too small. Probably gonna have to mount the external GPS antenna way aft on the turtleback.

Last night I wired in the nav and strobe lights, and the light for the vertical compass (mounted overhead in the wing center section. I had forgotten to put the strobe power pack in the center section, so I enlarged an inspection hole just enough to fit it through, then used industrial Velcro to hold it in. Since I can't budge it without a pry bar, I figure it'll be all right - weighs about 8 oz.

Also wired in a nice 5-button stick grip. Of course, I don't have electric trim, so I use the #1 button for switching channels on the com, #2 is transponder ident, #3 is smoke, and #4 is my machine gun trigger. The fifth button is, or course, the PTT. Lotsa wires!

Hope your project is doing OK - hope to come see it soon!:D