Smithsonian (Duplicate) Big Plans For Evans Volksplane

Discussion in 'Wood Construction' started by rbrochey, Mar 7, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Mar 7, 2017 #1

rbrochey

rbrochey

rbrochey

Awhile back I bought the plans (with pilot's handbook) and Evans lightplane designers handbook. I have very fond memories of being in San Diego on a Guided Missile Frigate (soon headed to WestPac) when Evans was doing his first flights in Ramona... later, in the 70's I was married in Ramona, ten years after that I was skimming over the heads of cows doing touch and goes in a Cessna 172 at Ramona airport... flying out of Gillespie Field... and I spent a lot of great times in Cardiff and Encinitas area where Bud Evans lived. So this little plane somehow feels magical to me.

I contacted Peter Evans (in Encinitas) and ordered the big plans. He sent them right out and they are great! There are a lot of nice people in aviation, and Peter Evans certainly is one of them... highly recommend this if you're looking to build an all wood aircraft... this is the sort of thing that brings the joy back. :)

FritzW and cluttonfred like this.
  2. Mar 7, 2017 #2

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

...yeah, but you can't hide the full sized plans in a 3 ring binder from work so your boss thinks your busy all the time. :gig:

Tiger Tim likes this.
  3. Mar 7, 2017 #3

rbrochey

rbrochey

rbrochey

True Fritz...but I'm for all intent and purposes retired... sort of... but when my wife asks "what plans are those?" ah... these? they're for the new bathroom... I swear...

4. Mar 7, 2017 #4

skeeter_ca

skeeter_ca

skeeter_ca

Then you have them scanned and put them on a thumb drive to view on your work computer. Or so i have been told..........:)

skeeter

5. Mar 8, 2017 #5

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

...I didn't think about a thumb drive. ;)

I can relate to happy memories of the Volksplane. When I was just a little kid I remember sitting on the arm of my dad's chair and looking at the latest issue of Mechanix Illustrated with him (Sept, '69 IIRC). We built lot's of model airplanes together and he appreciated the "model airplane simplicity" of the VP.

It took 30 years to start building, he was still around for the build but he watched the first flight from above.

I managed to pick up a set of full size original Volksplane plans on ebay, still in the mailing enveloped post-marked June of '69. For me they're a real connection to those happy days.

6. Mar 8, 2017 #6

gtae07

gtae07

gtae07

And then you get your butt walked out the door for violating the company IT security policy ;)

7. Mar 8, 2017 #7

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

New Picture.jpg

Yup, Fritz, it was the MM September 1969 issue. Not that I remember it as I am *so* much younger than you, though I was around by then. ;-)

I looked but did not find a PDF of the original article online. :-(

I had a set of full-size plans that I bought in the early 90s, sold them when I decided I didn't want to build a single-seater. Of course, then I regretted selling them and bought another set a few years ago but just the reduced-scale yellow book. I do have an original, second-hand set of VP-2 plans, though!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    FritzW likes this.
  8. Mar 8, 2017 #8

Derswede

Derswede

Derswede

Let me know how that works out...I could have bought a nice Cessna 172 for what the last bathroom remodel cost me....!

And they complain when we spend a few bucks on airplanes...and not even chasing women!

Derswede

9. Mar 8, 2017 #9

larr

larr

larr

That was certainly the policy at Xerox when I worked there. Not only that, they ALWAYS monitored any traffic in or out of your workstation. Nothing sneaky about it though, every employee was counseled regularly about the IT policy.

10. Mar 9, 2017 #10

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

rbrochey is going to have admit that he's been smitten by the Volksplane and there's no way out but to build one.

Tiger Tim and rbrochey like this.