Smallest possible ultralight for real men 230lbs

Discussion in 'The light stuff area' started by erkki67, Aug 12, 2011.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Aug 16, 2011 #21

taildragger

taildragger

taildragger

Oh, Yeah!!!! Just a blast to fly

[video=youtube;aDYtVFMlHFc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDYtVFMlHFc[/video]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2019
  2. Aug 16, 2011 #22

erkki67

erkki67

erkki67

ok, were to get plans of this bird to study them?

and does a 6' 6" pilot fit?

bst rgds

erkki

3. Aug 16, 2011 #23

taildragger

taildragger

taildragger

No plans...only in a kit-form (click image)

[​IMG]

4. Aug 16, 2011 #24

Dana

Dana

Dana

Super Moderator

Take a look at the Kolb line; all have quick folding wings and good STOL performance. Their Firefly is a U.S. legal ultralight, which doesn't matter to you, while their larger models should meet European microlight specs.

-Dana

5. Aug 16, 2011 #25

corvettercr

corvettercr

corvettercr

the b1-rd is a stol craft 50' take offs

6. Aug 16, 2011 #26

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Two thoughts....

Early model Avid Flyer - Two seat, should fit the MLA requirements, and your payload and field requirements. Folding wings for storage.

Hummel Ultracruiser - Single seat, low Wing non-strutted (per your request), reasonable short take off and landing, but I'm not sure what size/weight pilot it will handle.

7. Aug 17, 2011 #27

wally

wally

wally

Another vote for a Kolb U/L.

I had a Kolb Ultrastar with the Cuyuna engine and it flew very nice. I weighed about 200 lbs at the time. I think it would take a pilot up to 250 lbs.

It is open cockpit, well way more than that, open all the way around you cockpit flying. Almost all the aircraft is out of your field of view so it is sort of like sitting in a flying chair.

You may be able to find plans for it.

Wally

8. Aug 17, 2011 #28

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I'll throw a vote to the Kolb too. Good plane and probably fits your need.

9. Aug 17, 2011 #29

topspeed100

topspeed100

topspeed100

Banned

Definitely with your landing strip you'll need a lot of wing area and slow landing features...but smallest possible I'd guess is 3,6 x 3,6 meters.

10. Aug 18, 2011 #30

erkki67

erkki67

erkki67

Hello Topspeed100

What kind of bird would you suggest, knowing all the relevant details?

It should also be easy to build!

Bst rgds

Erkki

11. Aug 18, 2011 #31

topspeed100

topspeed100

topspeed100

Banned

Erkki,

I have gone back and forth since I made the "glider monkey" and evaluated the comments I have gotten here. I am currently still in blended body ac, but I have moved the engines front to maintain the CG right ( easily ) at all weights of the pilot. Also I have gone in controls back to traditional...maybe separate elevator and rudder system for the easy maintenance and construction. Design should have wood construction and indeed very easy to build features. Landing gear is sorta like in Dh89 Dragon Rapide. Main wheel(s) at front and maybe two small tailwheels at the rear. The design at this stage have some similar features as the "Flying Pancake", but aim is to get it smaller than Cri Cri in main measures...yet wingarea around 5-6 m2( 7-8 m2 ? ). It should have advanced aerodynamics, but this is area where I only can give some general directions and needs a whole lot work and model study. My back up planes ( FNX and Wasama ) are still in my blog, but I may start updating it with a new plane soon..thus I changed the name for it ( not the domain name ) from economical fan ac into extremely economical small ac.

rgds,

Juke

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  12. Aug 18, 2011 #32

taildragger

taildragger

taildragger

What about short span induced drag and heavily affected lateral stability? Or just drawing a cartoons?

13. Aug 18, 2011 #33

topspeed100

topspeed100

topspeed100

Banned

I did also present doubts in my design into this direction earlier...forward sweep and lifting body may not beat span efficiency, but the extreme saving in weight may compensate it...also I can bring about more effective shapes for the wing with less overall drag ( small drag coefficient number ). Sorry if I get confused with terminology, but this is shortly where I aim at. There will be lateral stability believe me.

14. Aug 22, 2011 #34

conestogaman

conestogaman

conestogaman

I have not heard mention of the Ragwing Stork yet (or any Storch replica). It is a replica of the Feisler Storch, and built to plans, fits the American LSA requirements.

Plans built from mostly wood (no kits)
    STOL capable
    Gross weight 1200
    Empty weight 497
    VNE. 105
    Cruise speed 75
    Stall speed 15
    Take off and landing roll 30 feet!
    Service ceiling 15,000 feet
    Slotted, folding wing
    Rough field capable
    2 passengers
    Can be made tandem (RW19) OR side by side seating (RW20)
    Made from wood, fabric, and tube.

There is, in the plans set, a modification for building it as a single seat ultralight, supposedly fitting the American part103 rules, weighing 256 lbs, (depends on the powerplant weight), that can use a low HP engine, but you will lose the doors, windows, second seat, use thinner plywood for the fuse, lighter landing gear, and have minimal avionics. It sounds like it would be a good candidate for you. It is a slotted, strutted, high wing however, but except for the strutted wing, it fits your qualifications, including folding wings to fit in your 'hangar'. You could add some lightly built, wood framed fabric doors, and thin polycarbonate windows and stay within your specified 250-270lbs. Plans cost $100. RagWing Aircraft Design, plans for proven replica models

The Mitchellwing U2 has folding wingtips and removable nosecone that makes it 8 feet long by 19 feet wide (folded wingspan) to fit your 'hangar' (it rolls in sideways on a dolly) but the plane does poorly on bumpy terrain risking damage to the 'stabilators', and it also will tend to porpoise as it hits bumps flying prematurely without sufficient airspeed. It really needs a smoother airfield to keep damage down. It can be built as a powered glider if you use a folding prop. Empty weight quoted at 305 US pounds with a 2 stroke 440 Kawasaki engine or 2SI.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
    dcstrng likes this.
  15. Sep 27, 2011 #35

SeaEagle

SeaEagle

SeaEagle

hi guys, new here but just couldn't pass up commenting on this posting.

i am in the planning stages now of designing a new UL with a target weight in the neighborhood of about 180lbs, a parasol design, but able to lift a 300lbs pilot. but as for what is now on the market for lifting a heavier pilot i know of two, one was already mentioned the Legal Eagle with its 1/2 VW engine. the other is the Belite. both claim to be able to fly a pilot 270lbs.

16. Sep 27, 2011 #36

litespeed

litespeed

litespeed

There are many good designs from Airdrome airplanes that would be suitable.

The have many in the air and look great. Ever seen Flyboys?

I am sure many of their designs could be made with folding wings.

But If you are storing in a container and want to build a aircraft?

Make a larger container/whatever shed and have no need to fold and get one of the above, or what ever other design suits?

Add some of the replica guns- even have a gas powered one in the works.

Airdrome Aeroplanes ~ Holden, MO

A replica Storch will do it for you as well but a lot of wood work.
    It all depends on what you really want.

The Belite and Legal Eagle are good candidates as well.
    Non strutted designs cost weight at the real light end of flying.

And by the sounds of your 'strip', a high wing may be best.

A V twin industrial motor is OK but for a light one, I really like the JCV-360. A lovely flat twin which many are putting in for factory fit such as Belite, SD-1 and others. Water cooled, 4 stroke and fuel injected with redrive at a similar cost of a good conversion.

A Belite with a JCV360 could be a really good thing as they can produce 26hp cruise and 36hp max.

Just my 2 bob.:gig:

17. Sep 28, 2011 #37

roverjohn

roverjohn

roverjohn

I can't imagine a 256lb RW Stork unless the doors really are that heavy. Plus why would you need a 32' span? I can however see a clipped Stork wing on Roger's Ariel. With a 440 and some properly adjusted scales.......

18. Nov 21, 2011 #38

topspeed100

topspeed100

topspeed100

Banned

Thanks you Mark Stull....I put a real special emphasis on your writings now...since you really were the man ( and I really mean it ). This is it...if you have sleek design with lots a speed....you gotta have aerodynamics to slow it down controlled....AND here the partially lifting body comes into play at its best !!! This is what all my bird watching related ideas mean.

19. Nov 21, 2011 #39

topspeed100

topspeed100

topspeed100

Banned

This is the first 75% Fokker DVIII I ever saw; Airdrome Aeroplanes ~ Holden, MO really cool.

Belite is real fine too; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPNGEf41X0A&NR=1

20. Nov 23, 2011 #40

topspeed100

topspeed100

topspeed100

Banned

Erkki !

I have now 3 views of a 60 kilo ( empty ) plane to fly with 8,5-19,8 hp engine and to carry a real man man !

It has total frontal area 0,99 m2 and 7,5 m spanning wings...and only 3,35 meters long. It sports only elevator and aileron control and is a monowheel with V-tail. Several other never before seen features in a one and same airplane are in it too to save weight and effort to make this aerial scooter easy to obtain. I'll keep several aspect of it as secret since there could be copycat on the move ( never know ).

Are you still interested ?

Specs runned with FPEA excel chart by autoreply are promissing ( should fly 100 mph at full throttle with the smaller engine and 132 mph at the 19,8 hp model aeroplane engine by Desert Aircraft ).

I will do a flying model first in 1/6 scale to see how a model figure fits in and how the control work. Since the tails are all moving I might make ruddervators as well.

YEAH and the main wheel is 350 mm dia...should run on all surfaces. Needs no lisence in Finland to build and fly it.

Here is the bigger engine; http://desertaircraft.com/engines_detail.php?Page=DA-200

This standard layout only allows you to fly 2-4 hours at 60% setting depending which engine you choose. In two hours it can take you just 250 miles ( range with no reserve but 1/25 glide ratio ).

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011