• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Small single seat aircraft fuel consumption, help to understand

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vincent.diallonort

I working remotly so i moving where i like to go.
Hi,
I am prospecting and preparing for my long term dream to own an aircraft ( I haven't finished my ppl yet so I am still very early in my project ) ,the mission I am looking for it will to 500- 600 km flight ( with step for refuel ) as VFR pilot and carry me( 90 kg ) + 10 kg baggage. So I can visit family and friends during the weekend. There is 3 aircraft I am looking at . Sonex Onex , Luciole MC-30 ( but I seem to be too heavy for it ) and SD-1 minisport. Something I don't understand is these aircraft seem fairly similar but the Onex fuel burn is around 4 gallons/hr ( at best ) as opposed to 1.1 for the MC-30 and 1.5 for the SD-1. Of course the Onex fly faster but if back down on the speed ( down to 150 km/h like the MC-30 cruise speed ) will it drop the consumption to the level of the MC-30/SD-1 ? The onex is 273 kg vs 90 kg for the MC-30 and 110 kg for the SD-1 , is it what's responsible for the difference in fuel consumption ?

Thanks in advance for my newbie question.

Regarding

Vincent

Back