• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Small fast 'fun plane'

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Microflight

Auckland, New Zealand. Currently Santiago, Chile
Hi everyone,

I've been reading here as a guest for quite a while and seeing all the wisdom here I thought I'd ask a few questions.

I'm sure most of you will be aware of the little french contraption the cri-cri. Tiny little thing

Wing area of 3.1m2
Weight 75kg
Crusing speed 185kmh

All the pertinent information is here.Cri-Cri Homebuilt | Technical description of the Cri-Cri aircraft

What I'm wanting to know is, if the seating position was improved so the pilot was more reclined, and the canopy much more aero-dynamic. The twin engines replaced by a simple single in the front with a similar amount of power 30hp-ish.

Would the top speed be significantly improved?

After these steps, which seem to me relatively common sense. What further could be done to improve the cruise and top speeds without adding more power, sweeping wings, changing profiles etc?

Perhaps i should have mentioned earlier. I'm wanting to build something along the same lines as this. in terms of size and weight. It will be scratch built.

Also as a side note for those with the knowledge, the whole thing dry ends up at only 75kg in Aluminium, it there any chance it could be significantly lighter in composite? Would it even be worth the additional work?

Sorry it turned into so many questions.

Thanks,

Reuben.

Back