"SkyWing" hybrid wing body ultralight

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Allen, May 23, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. May 23, 2019 #1

Allen

Allen

Allen

This wingless aircraft is an ultralight I'm designing to build with 2" blue styrofoam and 1 1/2" PVC pipe for wing spars. Power will be a 22hp Briggs 4-stroke gas engine. meeceblog.wordpress.com

Attached Files:

2. May 24, 2019 #2

pwood66889

pwood66889

pwood66889

Welcome aboard, Allen.
    And should your rather generously bladed prop ever point NW to 2J0, gimme a shout and I'll buy the coffee!

3. May 24, 2019 #3

Allen

Allen

Allen

Well now I know where 2JO is. [near the glittering metropolis of good old Sopchoppy, home of the internationally reknowned Worm Gruntin Festival] It'll be my first destination when the SkyWing flies. [which will be nice if it happens. I'll rejoin the EAA to use their talented builders' savvy. ;=]

4. May 24, 2019 #4

Dana

Dana

Dana

Forget about pvc for wing spars or any structural application. No time to write more, use the search function.

BoKu, pictsidhe and proppastie like this.
  5. May 25, 2019 #5

pwood66889

pwood66889

pwood66889

Yeah, Allen, that Worm Fest is quite the event around here. Can attest there to as a proud resident of... :)
    But do join the EAA if you can. Some chapters can be standoffish (If you ain't a pilot...). Even hanging out at the local flying field helps.
    Hear Marathon Key has a museum and EAA Chapter.

6. May 25, 2019 #6

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

With no disrespect meant at all, and saying this trying to HELP rather than insult, you might want to change the name of the project.

"Sky Wing" sounds just like one of those ridiculous "Chin-glish"names they have for low quality ARF model airplanes made in China. To an experienced airplane person, that name immediately costs you half or 2/3 of the credibility before the conversation even starts.

PVC tube is another huge credibility-killer when you are talking about it in front of anyone who is involved in aviation.

Once again I am NOT trying to make fun of what you are doing or discourage you. I am, however, pointing out things that are doing damage to how knowledgeable people are going to look at your project.

pictsidhe, BoKu and FritzW like this.
  7. May 25, 2019 #7

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

I was going to say run as far and fast as you can from PVC pipes, but others beat me to it.

In general 'pipe' is a conduit---moves something from one place to another. But 'tube'' is structural.

Since you already mentioned using 2" foam, why not make a spar out of that with fiberglass cloth covered with epoxy, and maybe some carbon fiber rods?

As already mentioned, use the search function on here. All of this has been discussed ad nauseum.