• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Skybolt modified “I” strut attach fittings.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George Tyler

I recently bought a Skybolt project. I’m in the process of installing the “internal” flying wire fittings and drilling holes for the “I”strut attach bolts. I came across a post indicating that there is a modified way, instead of drilling 1/4” holes through spars, for “I” strut attach fittings that are made out of steel or aluminum that are attached directly to spars. In laying out the necessary holes for the original vertical 1/4” hole for “I” strut and the 1” hole for flying wire fitting, the two holes come very close, 1/8” I believe, from each other at the center of spar. Since there are a lot of flying Skybolt’s in this configuration I can assume that this poses no structural problem. Was wondering though if the mod made this more “beefier”? Also do the mod fittings bolt onto the internal flying wire plates?
Any thoughts or comments would be appreciate. Also any pictures would also be helpful. Thanks in advance.

George

Back