Six Subaru Powered Airplanes

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
It looked like an independant video and was useful to me about how auto conversions happen.
Well, it was not an independent video. If we watch it within the page of the "Experimental Aircraft Channel" (?) we'll see the advisory there that the video contains "paid promotion." The video producer could and should have included that disclaimer in the video itself, that would have been the most honest thing to do. But, they didn't do that, so Jan gets more spin for his money because viewers mistake it for an independent review (just as you did).
With Jan, some things never change...

Last edited:

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
The producer interrupted the video to show the paid promotion sponsors. Viking was not listed. I also watched the UL engine video and was similar.
I saw the contains promotion on the link, so have no idea what you are talking about, or how Jan was favored in this engine series of videos.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
The producer interrupted the video to show the paid promotion sponsors. Viking was not listed. I also watched the UL engine video and was similar.
I saw the contains promotion on the link, so have no idea what you are talking about, or how Jan was favored in this engine series of videos.
I have to agree. It does not appear that Viking sponsors the channel or that video.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
I saw the containhttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY8yl9St6jNAZSx2i_FNBcAs promotion on the link, so have no idea what you are talking about, or how Jan was favored in this engine series of videos.
I don't know what your browser shows, here's what I see (Windows laptop, Firefox):
1) If I go to the "Experimental Aircraft Channel" ( https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY8yl9St6jNAZSx2i_FNBcA )
2) Click on "videos" tab, go here : https://www.youtube.com/c/ExperimentalAircraftChannel/videos
3)Click on the Viking Engines video, which takes us to this link:

Here's what I see:

1609436935958.png

That little "Includes paid promotion" notification stays there for exactly 20seconds. It does appear to be there in "native" YouTube mode as well as when viewed on the Experimental Aircraft Channel (contrary to what I wrote earlier). The "EAC" label is on the whole video, but the "paid promotion" label stays for just 20 seconds. Hmmm.

According to the guy running the EAC web site (not me), he has been paid a fee to put this video on his page. That is a (the?) way he makes money. There should be no confusion about what is going on here, and the fact that there is tells us a lot. Jan and his employees are virtually the only people shown, the "host" of EAC only does a 5 second appearance at the begining and a 10 second audio blurb at the end. It is effectively a Viking ad that EAC was paid to run.

Attachments

Last edited:

BJC

HBA Supporter
Reminds me of wild hickory nuts. Reminds me of what has been said many time, “Those that fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.”

Pay attention, people.

BJC

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
That little "Includes paid promotion" notification stays there for exactly 20seconds.
The paid promotion stamp is applied by YouTube--you will see it on other videos from other channels. More on YouTube's policy here: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/154235?hl=en

The stamp is required when sponsors are mentioned. The video specifically mentions the following sponsors and Viking is not one of them. One of the sponsors of the channel, AirWorx, was among the companies featured in the series (Franklin engines), and they are clearly listed as a sponsor. I would expect that had the other engine manufacturers interviewed been sponsors, they would have been listed as well. We have no indication that Viking was a sponsor. I'm not really a fan of Viking, but there is nothing here that has the appearance of being underhanded.

The suggestion that this is an ad produced by Viking, and spliced into this video doesn't hold water. Brian travels to various aviation companies and people for interviews and this video is typical of all his others. The fact that he's not in the frame throughout the video doesn't mean anything--he's behind the camera and you hear him asking questions throughout the video. Jan might be deserving of some ire for a variety of reasons, but this isn't one of them.

1609443522740.png

slociviccoupe

I may get hung or catch heck for this but i liked eggenfellers engine mount and thats about it. The mount atatching to an engine plate with the redrive atatched to it seemed a good solution for not bed mounting the engine and it being a stressed member.

This being said i would like to see propper mounting setup for subarus. I have my own ideas for mine but there are more than one ways to do the same thing.

Ross's knowledge and his own plane seem to be the go to for information.

Also what calculations are done for selecting turbocharger for altitude. Again with ross the one spec'd is the to4e 50 trim with stage 3 turbine and i think .82ar turbine housing. But what math was used to select that setup?

Next is what size alternator is adequate? What ratio alternator to crank? Im running one of the mini denso 45a ones 1:1 with the crank. Hoping i dont have to go to mid frame size as mount will have to be remade.

Id like to see more on the oiling system of the subaru. Like capacity, if the factory plate type oil heat exchanger is used or removed. Where the oil cooler is plumbed in the system, what size oil cooler is used, is there a thermostat for the oil cooler?

Id like to see more on the turbocharging, exhaust and intercooling.

And lastly there seems to be 3 reliable redrives out there the first is the marcote, second being the autoflight, then the spg. Would be interesting to see and compare the differences aside from what is available from manufacturer. I purchased an spg-5 only for reasoning that not sure how long marcote will be available and how long will make parts for it. Also the higher prop offset from the crank gives me a tad bit more room for intake manifold.

rv6ejguy

You can look up a copy of Hugh McKinnes' Turbo book which has all the math for matching compressors at altitude. Turbine selection is based more on experience but since response is not a consideration in this application, we want the largest turbine wheel and largest A/R suitable here. The Stage III turbine wheel is the largest T3 wheel commonly available. The Stage IV is a bit bigger but the bore of the turbine outlet housing becomes so big and the wall so thin that they've been known to crack. I choose the T3 turbine stuff because it's compatible with integral wastegates which I feel are lighter, more compact and more reliable than external ones. Also no external routing of the discharge pipe back into the main exhaust. The .82 is the largest commonly available housing for this wheel and has proven to work well on 3 turbo Subaru airplanes to date. Later Garrett turbos don't have such a good choice of turbine wheels and housings for this application.

I run a 2.25 inch open pipe which is the same size as the turbine outlet hole. No need for mufflers with a turbo.

Mount the turbo rigidly to the engine with a strong support and use slip joints on the 4 pipes leading to it. Differential thermal expansion is a big deal here, you don't want pipe stresses transfered. Use 321 stainless for the inlet pipes, 304 is ok for the outlet pipe as its much cooler. .058 to .063 wall for the inlet pipes, .049 wall for outlet. You don't want cracks here.

Most alternators output full amperage at around 6000 rotor rpm. Take 6000 and divide by your intended cruise rpm, say 4500 in my case, that gives you 1.33. Make your alternator pulley size this much smaller than your drive pulley. Mine puts out around 60 amps but I could get by with a lot less.

I ditched the factory oil to coolant heat exchanger and another larger Ford unit, they are not adequate here. I have an Earls cooler, around 8 X 8 X 1.25 if memory serves me with an oil thermostat. Works well.

The intercooler is around 6 X 6 X 3.5 Bell. Bigger is better but cowling space and building a decent duct becomes more problematical as it gets bigger.

The Marcotte PSRU has been great for me and others but supply is slow and future support is in question, same with Autoflight. The SPG-4/5 is available, proven and supported plus being much less expensive than the other 2. That would be my choice if building again.

Engine mounts will be unique to every airframe and engine. The DOHC engines are harder to mount, you must have clearance for all the other parts FWF, good triangulation and I'd recommend .049 wall 3/4 4130 tubing. Seen too much .035 wall crack on certified and homebuilt airplanes over time plus the welding is more critical on thinner wall stuff.

Last edited: