Six Subaru Powered Airplanes

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

don january

Log Member
Very informative video and I drive Subaru 2.5 daily but not without some heart ache. I currently have a 08 Impreza outback sport and a 1999 forester I have had the engine out twice on both due to head gasket and Cam shaft and valve problems. The serpentine belt pulleys for sure need a constant checking over because like on my 99 forester if that belt lets go while running you take out all the valves. I think the engine is a perfect candidate for aircraft conversion if your homebuilt can handle the weight. Thanks for the video rv6ejguy.

rv6ejguy

HBA Supporter
HG problems were very widespread on earlier EJ25s, which is why I run a closed deck EJ22T. Most people flying these replace the timing belts, tensioner and idlers at 500-750 hours. Cheap and easy.

don january

Log Member
Yes once you have replaced the belt a time or two it does get easy but real easy to strip out the threads on last bolt at water pump if you get in a hurry. I did find out you can get a nut in behind the water pump on that bolt but a pain in the a$$. But lesson learned :( I often wondered how the EA-81 would fit the Taylor-mono ? but I'm limited to 170 lb fwf unless I hang a lot of lead in the tail and there goes my GW. I did find that if you buy the top of the line HG they last much better. (knock on wood)

WWhunter

I've got a damaged Murphy Rebel that was flown 300+ hours before the new owner damaged the plane. No fault of the engine. ANother one of my projects that needs to be sold. :)

Apsco17

HBA Supporter
Ross,

Very even-handed and informative video, thank you for taking the time to put it together and release it.

I noticed that the successful conversions you documented all seemed to have large radiators giving lots of cooling capacity, I wonder if that is a key ingredient for a successful auto conversion? Along with a proven PSRU, of course.

Todd

rv6ejguy

HBA Supporter
Thanks. I'm investigating doing one on the smaller, lighter auto engines with one of the long time vendors, that might come out in Feb. sometime. Takes a lot of hours to collect the data and photos and edit it all together.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Did Jan Eggenfelnner have access to buy new Subaru engine blocks for those kits? Or does he buy new Honda engine blocks now?

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Did Jan Eggenfelnner have access to buy new Subaru engine blocks for those kits? Or does he buy new Honda engine blocks now?
Viking uses engines from wrecked cars. I don't know about the Subaru days.

PagoBay

Viking uses engines from wrecked cars. I don't know about the Subaru days.
Gosh yes.... One such engine even had all of NINE miles on the odometer. Link just below. Damaged on the ship. Some have a few hundred. Buyers can see photos of the vehicle. Or buy a brand new Honda if they want to pay extra. Buying a newly assembled engine does have risks. Frankly, I would rather have an engine that has some run in time. But that is just me.
See Here from Experimental Aircraft Channel's Engine Week which featured many of the popular brands.:
Edge Performance Yamaha
UL Power
Viking Honda
Continental Titan
Rotax
WW Corvair

rv6ejguy

HBA Supporter
Gosh yes.... One such engine even had all of NINE miles on the odometer. Link just below. Damaged on the ship. Some have a few hundred. Buyers can see photos of the vehicle. Or buy a brand new Honda if they want to pay extra. Buying a newly assembled engine does have risks. Frankly, I would rather have an engine that has some run in time. But that is just me.
See Here from Experimental Aircraft Channel's Engine Week which featured many of the popular brands.:
Edge Performance Yamaha
UL Power
Viking Honda
Continental Titan
Rotax
WW Corvair
But this thread is about Subaru, not Viking. You seem to have very intimate knowledge of engine miles here and you always show up pedaling Viking. Jan is that you?

Last edited:

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Frankly, I would rather have an engine that has some run in time. But that is just me.
Does the buyer get a report of the mileage on the used engine?
I assume the basic block and head are never removed for inspection, but cleaned and sold as used as is, or does the core come with a warranty?

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Edge Performance Yamaha
UL Power
Viking Honda
Continental Titan
Rotax
WW Corvair
"Includes paid promotion."
I prefer my "promotion" straight from the manufacturer without a veneer of faux objectivity.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
It looked like an independant video and was useful to me about how auto conversions happen.