Quantcast

Six cylinder questions?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Pilot-34

I’ve always understood that a straight six cylinder engine is the most naturally inherently vibrationally smooth engine.
Does this apply to boxer type six cylinders as well?
Is the boxer smoother?
Is either type smooth enough inherently To drive a propeller without vibration counterweights?

TFF

Airplane 6s are very smooth. Counter weights depended on lots of things like types of props and internal component weights. There are examples of no weights and multiple weights.

Victor Bravo

My old airplane has the Continental O-300 6 cylinder opposed (boxer) engine. Absolutely the smoothest running engine I've ever flown behind. Noticeably smoother than the 4 cylinder version of the same exact engine (O-200). Very confidence-inspiring and trustworthy. Definitely not the highest power to weight, definitely not the most efficient. But smooth, reliable, and dependable.

Pilot-34

My old airplane has the Continental O-300 6 cylinder opposed (boxer) engine. Absolutely the smoothest running engine I've ever flown behind. Noticeably smoother than the 4 cylinder version of the same exact engine (O-200). Very confidence-inspiring and trustworthy. Definitely not the highest power to weight, definitely not the most efficient. But smooth, reliable, and dependable.
Ever drove a ford big six ? Any comparisons?

Daleandee

Can't speak for flat six cylinder engines in the certified world but in experimental world (in my experience) a properly converted Corvair engine is quite robust, reliable, and smooth. Better than an inline six? I can't say as there are a number of differences between an air cooled, aluminum, flat six cylinder on an airplane mount, swinging a prop as opposed to a water cooled, cast iron, straight six cylinder mounted to an auto frame with huge rubber engine mounts driving through a transmission.

TFF

In a general statement, the boxer is smoother unless you have port fuel injection or one carb per cylinder on the straight 6. Straight 6 will have two cylinders Usually 5-6 trying to share air/ fuel. There is just an ever so small spot there in power. Most never notice.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Owned 3 different straight tail C-172's and love the Cont- 0-300 engine. Just like a Timex watch, Take a lickin and keep on tickin. Smooth as silk.
The reason I used a straight tail C-172 as a company photo platform along with the increase rudder authority over the sweep tail C-172's. Also lighten in weight by no paint except for the N number, pilot seat only, and most of the time when working , the doors off. Camera ports in the rear windows and camera hole in the floor. Flown in the Resisted Category . Good work horse.

Dan

Last edited:

Victor Bravo

Ever drove a ford big six ? Any comparisons?
No, I was never much of a car guy. Had one reasonably fast car, and promptly got a lot of speeding tickets, the folks made me trade it in for a low-power economy car.

My heart and soul was taken by airplanes a long time before I ever had a car. The automobile is a fine and highly useful machine for getting someone to and from their aircraft.