Sisler/Viking Cygnet SF2A

Discussion in 'Member Project Logs' started by tdm3, Jun 15, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jun 15, 2019 #1

tdm3

tdm3

tdm3

Member HBA Supporter

As a teenager I began flying when I was 15. Flew when I could afford it (started working at 14) soloed when I was 17. Somewhere between 15 and 17 I joined the EAA and bought plans for a Pober Pixie. In life you have to make choices. I chose to go to college, so couldn't afford to do that and fly. Got married (wonderful wife), had kids (they're pretty good too!) and fast forward some 37 years I sold my Pober Pixie plans to a fellow in Australia who'd bought a project but did have full size plans. (He sends me updates and is progressing well). But before I sold them I bought a set of Cygnet plans. Built my work table, still updating my shop, and started building in March of this year. Progress hasn't been outstanding but it is continuing. If you have any comments I'd love to hear them. Private message or email would be great.
    Oh, and I haven't gotten that private yet. Hopefully that and the project will coincide in the not too distant future. Lord willing.
    David
    0126190834.jpg 0411192244.jpg 20190615_161239.jpg

Pops, 103, jmt1991 and 3 others like this.
  2. Jun 27, 2019 #2

tdm3

tdm3

tdm3

Member HBA Supporter

No progress pictured here but I did want to take a few words to thank my Dad for many of the tools I inherited from him that will help this task along. Dad was a knifemaker my whole life and after he retired from his day job he started making knives more or less full time. I never took to the craft though I have made a few, but the equipment he used is handy for other ventures as well, aircraft building being one of those. He always supported my aviation dreams. Pop died in 2012.

Thanks Pop.
    20190627_111107.jpg
    Craftsman Drill Press
    20190627_111125.jpg
    Bader 2" belt sander and heat treat oven
    20190627_111113.jpg
    A black and decker jig saw that's as old as I am.
    20190627_111136.jpg
    A surface grinder. And there is a lot more, files, sanders, rockwell tester...All well used and all very usable. And here's a few of the hundreds of knives he made that are scattered all over this country and beyond.
    20190627_111403.jpg
    Back to building. Thanks for looking.
    David

delta, akwrencher, bifft and 3 others like this.
  3. Jun 28, 2019 #3

Pops

Pops

Pops

Thanks for posting the pictures. I love old tools. I went to live with my Grandfather ( 1876-1959) at 6 years old. He was a blacksmith/farmer. Starting teaching me to make things in the shop at 8 years old. Taught me to make knifes, etc. He made buggies and wagons from scratch, shoe horses, did the leather work to make the horse harness, etc. I have some of the horse double and single trees that he made and some of his tools. So, I also grew up with horses and we also farmed with a team of horses. He bought a wild 2 year old stallion that weighed about 1700 lbs when I was 8 years old and the stallion took me to raise. I was the only human that he liked. Instead of a boy and his dog, it was a boy and the horse.

4. Jun 28, 2019 #4

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

thanks for the build thread. Don't worry about slow progress, keep making progress and eventually it will get done. On my project there hasn't been too many times that I put in more than 2 hrs in one stretch most work sessions have been 1/2 to 1 hr long.

MadProfessor8138 and Pops like this.
  5. Jul 9, 2019 #5

tdm3

tdm3

tdm3

Member HBA Supporter

The main ribs and the forward ribs in the Cygnet have purlins that run the span of the wings top and bottom. (There are four rib types in the plane-nose, forward, main and aft; all made of 1/4" marine ply per the designer.) The purlins are 5/16" x 5/8" x ~156". The purlins sit in a slot cut into each rib. I'm cutting the slots with a 5/16" router bit. My router is mounted under the workbench. Of course doing it this way will leave a radius at the bottom of the slot. Instead of squaring all of those slots I'm going to use a 5/32" bullnose router bit to put a matching profile on the purlins. I can run the full length of the purlin through the router, with a fence, all at once. We'll see if I'm all wet.

I also procured an engine. The Cygnet was designed by Mr. Bert Sisler for the VW engine. However the first Cygnet is now flying with a Jabiru 2200 and the owners are pleased with its performance. The engine I bought is a core but it was a complete engine with full accessories and is the hydraulic lifter version. It's rated at 80/85 hp and even with the accessories weighs less than a starter-less and alternator-less VW. I got it cheap enough. if it doesn't work out then VW it'll be.

Thanks for looking,
    David

Attached Files:

narfi, jmt1991, 103 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Jul 16, 2019 #6

tdm3

tdm3

tdm3

Member HBA Supporter

errant post

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  7. Jul 16, 2019 #7

tdm3

tdm3

tdm3

Member HBA Supporter

Yesterday I took the Jabiru 2200 to the folks at Arion Aircraft in Shelbyville, TN (nice folks by the way). I did in fact purchase a rebuildable engine. Yippee! It'd had a stuck valve that the piston contacted on takeoff which ruined that cylinder but the rest of the engine is usable. The rebuilding cost isn't cheap but it'll end up being cheaper than a new Jabiru and about the same cost as a kitted out VW. The plan is to continue building with the Jab in mind as the power plant.

103 likes this.
  8. Jul 29, 2019 #8

tdm3

tdm3

tdm3

Member HBA Supporter

Finished the ribs today. Well except the nose ribs which I plan to do after the first wing is ready for them. Notched and sanded the rest. My notching with the router idea worked fine and I still have one spare rib for each style. On to spar building.
    Thanks for looking,
    David ribs cut, sanded, notched.jpg