Quantcast

Single Tube Fuselage idea

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

proppastie

Log Member
How would this bird look a like as a two seater with full controls tandem , and sbs?
If those are your drawings, I would think you could answer that question yourself. If they are not your drawings maybe it is time to learn SW or some other 3D cad program.

mullacharjak

Is the tubular wing construction a viable alternative for this kind of craft keeping the lines of a cub?
There is a nice cub lookalike ultralight J3 kitten. You can remove the wood plank spar and insert a rectangle aluminum tube.I think it would work very well.The spar doesnt have to be round to work.The wood ribs can be retained.

proppastie

Log Member
There is a nice cub lookalike ultralight J3 kitten. You can remove the wood plank spar and insert a rectangle aluminum tube.I think it would work very well.The spar doesnt have to be round to work.The wood ribs can be retained.
unless you know what you are doing that could be a very poor idea.....too heavy or too weak are possible outcomes.

Reactions: BJC

Aerowerx

Did I miss something?

How do these relate to a single tube design? Or is this a case of "ThreadDriftItis"?

Looks more like tailless delta, or that new Horten design.

Victor Bravo

Yeah, I was just about to jump up onto a bunch of soap boxes and chastise everyone for doing that, but I realized I'm equally as guilty as the next ding-dong-thread-drifter :)

To me the single tube idea was really cool on the "industrial design"? level, where you pursue an elegant minimalist solution that solves the equation for one single component serving many different functions.

In the case of the single tube discussion, speaking for myself only, I think that it's a noble pursuit and a challenging exercise to design something where one standard length chunk of tube can serve as the wing mount, the pilot seat, the engine mount, and the landing gear mount. My own sketch for this had been posted a couple of times on this forum ("the FROG"), but it did not seem to get that many people excited compared to other ideas.

I'd like to see continued discussion on a genuine single tube concept, to see just how clean or elegant of a design can come out of this kind of online brainstorming. Yes I know very well that at some point one person will have to grab it and bring it out of the digital ether and into reality (like the girl in that classic MTV video "Take on Me" from A-Ha!), but we're not to that point with this particular discussion yet.

Last edited:

Aerowerx

....My own sketch for this had been posted a couple of times on this forum ("the FROG"), but it did not seem to get that many people excited compared to other ideas. ....
I know Victor. I have seen it many times on here.

Some one has a brilliant idea that gets ignored. Then several months later someone else says "Hey, lets try this idea!", which looks awful familiar!

Like the discussions on tailless flying wings, that keeps rising from the dead every few months.

Victor Bravo

You may not be counting the dozens of cables and turnbuckles in the overall claim of simplicity. And I am also seeing five or six additional tubes there underneath the main keel, that are supporting the pilot.