Single Seat Super Cub

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Pops

Log Member
Haven't made very much progress on the covering because I have to install the rudder, elevator cables before covering the left side. When the airplane got blown off the runway at the airport and damaged, they cut the control cables at the tail instead of unbolting. So I have to make new cables and install. When I built it I used 3/32" dia cables. The new cables are 1/8" cables and a little over kill and heavier but when we built the 4 Bearhawks we bought 500' of cable , so have a lot leftover and going to used it.
The covering will have more seams than normal because I'm covering the fuselage with leftover fabric from previous builds. My wife makes homemade quilts and has a sewing room with all the tools that I'm not allowed to touch. She just bought another new sewing machine and I got her to try it out by sewing some of the fabric for me. Very nice job. Maybe she is a keeper. Well, been deciding for 61 years :)

Attachments

Pops

Log Member
Also starting to repair the engine mount. On rollout the fuselage hit a tree stump at the lower left engine mount tube and bolt head. The tube was buckled about 1 1/2" in the middle as you can see in the picture. I cut the buckle out and the mount sprung back in almost the correct position. Bolted to the firewall and bolted an old VW case to make sure the dimensions are correct. Will be repairing the tube to the FAA AC-43.13- 1B Figure- 4.37 for splicing by inner -sleeve method.
The curved cross tube is to clear the intake manifold and Carb of the engine.

Attachments

Last edited:

Pops

Log Member
Fuselage covering done except for the fin. Maybe start the painting one day next week. Think I will break the work up and paint the fuselage before covering the wings. Also been installing the few instruments in the panel. Need to cut the firewall out. Then I can bolt the engine mount on.

Pops

Log Member
Finished the covering of the fin and also installed the firewall metal and instruments in the panel. Hope to get the fuselage painted this next week.
Have baggage area on the shelf behind the seat and behind the firewall with a door on the right side.

Attachments

Last edited:

Pops

Log Member
Fuselage painted. On the original fuselage I masked off and painted the U.S. Insignia on both sides of the fuselage and on the wings. That was a lot of work , so thinking about finding someone local in town that can make some large decals.

Attachments

Pops

Log Member
Finished the aluminum angle around the edges of the firewall today. The aluminum cowl will fasten to the angle. Seat cushion was $2 at an Army surplus store and material for the seat back came from the same place. Same for the O.D. storage bag for the airplane's W&B and owners manual, etc .
Seat back has a storage pouch on the back. Seat back slips over the plywood seat back like a sock.

Attachments

Pops

Log Member
Cleaned up the oil cooler and getting ready to mount it on the firewall. Back when I built the SSSC I needed an oil cooler and had a VW Type 1 oil cooler that came off a 1972 up with the doghouse fan housing, so why not used it. Welded a couple alum bosses on that were taped for 1/4" pipe threads. Made a fiberglass plenum for the top for two, 2" dia inlet hoses. Also made aluminum brackets to mount on the firewall.

Attachments

Last edited:

Pops

Log Member
The VW oil temps runs to cold with both 2" air ducts running the the oil cooler if the OAT's are below 70 F . The oil temp tends to run about 100 F degrees above the OAT's even in a long climb. To fly below 70 degrees I unhook one of the air ducts to get the oil temps in the 180 degree range.
Thinking about putting a valve in the fiberglass tube above the cooler on one side with a choke type of pull off/on cable so I can adjust the oil temps in flight and not have to take a screw driver and unhook a scat hose.

Attachments

Pops

Log Member
Looks like the next thing to do is mount the stab. Also need to put a fresh coat of epoxy primer on the landing gear and engine mount. Will be nice to see it back on the Landing Gear and off the sawhorses. And I need the sawhorses to set a wing on to start covering. 20180101_120111.JPG

Pops

Log Member
Pictures of the 4130 steel landing gear on the SSSC. Will also work on the Super Koala by making it wider and the next strength die spring.
Used Matco 6" wheels and brakes #PH- 4XT . Tires are 800x 6" ATV tires.

Picture of the Matco brakes on the JMR. 5" wheels and brakes with 500:5" aircraft tires.20180117_121216.JPG

Attachments

Pops

Log Member
Finished up installing the fuel lines from the top of the cabin to the fuel bowl. Fuel tank in each wing at the wing root. Off/on valve on each side below the edge of the instrument panel to a TEE behind the firewall at the fuel bowl.

When the airplane was disassembled, they cut the rudder cables at the tail instead of taking the shackles loose, so I had to make new rudder cables. First one was correct. I attached the cables to the rudder pedals. Had the rudder pedals clamped together at neutral position and the rudder clamped at neutral. I pulled the cable taunt and measured for the distance. On the second cable I made the end and when hooking up the rudder horn it was about 2" to long. The cable had been caught on something inside the rear of the fuselage and I didn't know it. So I cut the loop off as close as possible and it was about 2" to short make to the correct length. So had to start all over again in making a new cable. I attached the end of the new cable and the end of the old cable with 1/8" heat shrink tubing and another 3/16" on top of that and then a 1/4" on top of that. It held the cables together enough to pull the new cable back through the fuselage with the old cable. Made the cable again and it came out good.
Some days you get the bear, and some days the bear gets you.

Last edited:

Pops

Log Member
Not a lot to do to finish the fuselage. Need to label the fuel shut off valves, placards for the instrument panel and side window glass and windshield. Will not install the engine controls until the engine is installed.

Attachments

Pops

Log Member
Pictures of the baggage compartment behind the seat. Also a baggage pouch on the back of the seat. I usually have a small cardboard box on the right side with tiedowns, etc.
Planning on build a small aluminum box to protect the elevator bellcrank from any loose object.

Attachments

Pops

Log Member
Install a tablet almost in the center of the panel. Working on installing the stab and elevator and wires.

Made a little box to protect the elevator bellcrank but it looks like an add-on because its an add-on. I 'll put it on the list for things to do. Will make a new one in one piece with a hinged cover on top for inspection.

On the panel the Tiny-Tack has 104 hrs. Battery went dead one time and lost the hours . So the TT is about 321 hours.

Attachments

Pops

Log Member
Installed a couple of aluminum heel plates on the floor. Also installed the stab and elevator. Set the different of 3.7 degrees in the incidence between the wing and tail as before. Now need to adjust the tail wires and make up the ends of the elevator cables and install. The tail wires are cut down Piper J-3 wires that I had. At first I just had one set of wires but when climbing anything over about 1200 fpm I felt a light shake in the control stick. Looking back at the outer ends of the LE of the stab, they were shaking up and down about 1/2". Lower the nose just a small amount and the shaking stopped. Bring the nose back up the small amount and the shaking started again. At the high AOA the stab was getting down in the downwash of the wings . So I added the forward set of wires to take care of the problem.
Installing the side glass and windshield will be about the last of building the fuselage.

Attachments

Pops

Log Member
The EW of the SSSC used to be 485 lbs. I did a little weighing today and I know its going to be a little heavier because I used Douglas Fir for the fuselage longerons and cross pieces ( because I had it ) in the fuselage and also will be using a 12 volt, 14 amp JD alternator and regulator . The way it looks at this time the new EW will be just about 500 lbs. Don't believe the CG will be much different . Hope it's under 500 lbs.
Now IF I can stay away from the strawberry ice cream and lose the added weight of the airplane , we both would be better off.

Last edited: