Single Seat Super Cub

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Thought that you might want to see how I built my Little Single Seat Super Cub, (LSSSC) :)
I had plans for the Fisher Koala 202, and my neighbor has the prototype Fisher Super Koala. So this is really a Super Koala narrowed down to single place, but built to the dimensions of the Koala 202 for the Cub look. Not one part is the same as either aircraft. All the hardware, controls system, landing gear, fuel system, etc is my design. Powered by a 1835 cc VW engine of 60 HP ( Most bang for the buck). Culver 60 X 26" prop. No electrics with Slick Mag. Firewall forward weight is 141 lbs.
Empty weight is 450 lbs. Cruise is 75-80 mph. ROC is 1200-1300 FPM. Fuel burn is 3 GPH.
First the fuselage.
Dan

Attachments

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Now for the wings. The top of the aluminum fuel tanks are a structural part of the wing skin.

Attachments

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
The landing gear is bolted through hard points in the fuselage. The rear 4130 box tubing is also the wing strut carry thru. Under the streamline covers are die springs. Very good landing gear and the handling on pavement is as good as any taildragger, but it as just been on a paved airport runway 2 times. 3/4" dia axles with Hydraulic brakes from Great Plains with Cessna 150 master cylinders for toe brakes. 6" wheels and 800 X 6" ATV tires.
Dan

Added -- On the Fisher group, drawing for this gear is in the files section if anyone is interested. Dan

Attachments

Last edited:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I sold the SSSC a few years ago and last summer the owner was taking off from a county airport and was to close behind a large military Helo and got blown off the runway and touched down in a field beside the runway and didn't get stopped before running into some brush and small trees.
Bought it back and going to repair it. Love that little airplane.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
The SSSC was delivered from NC last Saturday ( Feb 20th) and starting to repair it. Need the LE plywood repaired on one wing and a new wing tip on the other wing. Fuselage took a hard hit on a small tree or stump at the lower right corner of the firewall and broke a longeron in two places and busted the 1/8" plywood in several places on the right side of the fuselage. All the T-88 epoxy joints held up good. Would be easier to just build a new fuselage. Everything else is OK except the lower right engine mount tube is bent a little. Wood prop broke with a prop strike. Prop flange looks OK but going to replace the engine crank shaft and prop flange. I have several good standard German crankshafts.

Attachments

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Called an order of spruce for the fuselage at Aircraft Spruce. Couple hundred dollars of spruce and the shipping for the 8' wood was just a couple dollars less than the cost of the wood. No way.
I have 4 Douglas Fir boards given to me about 20 years ago by a building contractor friend of mine. 7/8' thick x 4" wide x 20' long , 16 growth rings per inch and no grain slope in the 20'. One board has about 4 very small knots along the edge. Since I need 3/4"x 3/4" and a little of 3/4"x 1.5", I think I will cut the board with the small knots for the pieces I need and save the perfect boards for the future. These boards are so good and the same number of growth rings I think they came from the same tree.
I have a wood planer to plane the 7/8" to the 3/4" that I need.
Saved me about $400.

Last edited:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
The fuselage has a lot of busted wood (plywood and spruce) on the lower right firewall and side. After a good inspection there is no damage aft of the baggage shelf behind the seat. No damage on the left side of the fuselage. I 'm going to build a new cabin section and splice on the rear of the fuselage to the cabin section. The construction is to the dimensions of the Fisher Koala 202 for the Cub look but the construction is of the Fisher Super Koala. So I put the lower 202 fuselage plans on the building table and starting to built the cabin section.
The oak wood block screwed to the table were first used when I started building a KR-2 back in the mid 70's and have been used many times. The electric wood sanding disc on a table with castors I built when building the KR is still used on this project.
Also have the 1835 cc VW engine apart about ready to disassemble the case to replace the crankshaft from the prop strike.

Attachments

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Changed my mind and decided to build the new fuselage from firewall to the tail. Would just as quick and I have lots of wood.
New fuselage is on the building table and boxed together about ready for the 1/8" plywood and need to build the tail fin.

Last edited:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Made a cardboard pattern from the old instrument panel for the layout of the new instrument panel. Moved things around a little to make room for the 7"tablet. Before, I mounted the handheld radio in the center of the panel. Now I will make a bracket to mount it on the left side below and rear of the throttle. Snowed off and no all day today. Everything snow covered this morning.
20180102_111636.JPG

Last edited:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Just a little more than 4 weeks on building the new fuselage including sawing all the wood. Almost out of T-88 and should be here tomorrow. Then I can finish installing the plywood sides and floors. I'll be using the door and windows and all the hardware from the other fuselage. That will save a lot of time.
Looking at the lower cross, right engine mount tube that is bent, just think I'll heat and straighten and then a sleeve to reinforce.
I enjoy the building, but not so much varnishing the wood.

Attachments

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
A little hint. When installing plywood on the frame, after cutting the plywood to shape, position on the location on the wood frame and drill some 1/16" holes for locating pins. For the pins, I used 1/2" long aircraft nails driven in just enough to hold in the 1/16" holes and clip the heads off just under the heads with side cutters. Remove the plywood from the nail locating pins and spread the epoxy and re-install over the pins and clamp. Remove the pins before the epoxy sets up with needle nose pliers, or grip with the side cutters and remove. Solves the problem of the plywood wanting to slide out of position on the epoxy while trying to clamp.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Made the copper foil com antenna today. My daughter used to do a lot of stain glass work and has lots of sticky back copper foil at 1/4" wide. Need 1/2" wide so I used two side by side and soldered the ends together to make sure of a good connection. I put the sticky back copper foil on 1/8" thick strips of wood and wrap with some sewing thread and rub some Tiebond glue over the thread so the foil will never come loose. I also just coat the copper foil with varnish when I do the wood. Will be installed behind the baggage area in the fuselage. Information of the use of copper foil antennas are on these links. And where to buy.

Been using Jim Weir's copper foil antennas since 1980.

Added---- Jim Weir's latest article in 2021, July's issue of Kitplanes is a good primer of antennas. You will understand why the copper foil antenna needs to be 1/2" wide.

Attachments

Last edited:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Getting more done. Came out a little short of the 1/8" plywood and had to order more. Just finished ripping the wood faring strips for the sides of the fuselage. Need to laminate one of the side rear window frames yet.
Now I need to see how much leftover fabric I have and see how much I need to order. Need to cover the wings and fuselage, tail surfaces are OK. I might have enough to cover the fuselage. Have lots of rib stitching cord and different widths of pinking tape.