Simplified biplane?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

J.L. Frusha

Upper rear tip aft of lower wing trailing edge.

Straight lower wing, swept upper wing... What did you expect? The upper is usually even, or aft of the lower wing TE

TFF

Just remember simplified outside means more complicated inside. It does have a Nieuport look. Always a favorite. There is a Pietenpol biplane; only a couple have been made. Parasols have the right attitude.

Ava

How can you fly that gal with all that forward visibility?
It's only 12" wide (and my CFI's head with a helmet and goggles is about 9" wide). Besides, it keeps the passenger warm, and is a built in turn indicator.
Aren’t you afraid of filling up your radiator core with timothy heads and grasshoppers?
Nah, we fly slow enough they can get out of our way. :) (In fact this is one of the few airplanes Jains feel comfortable in. :) )

The vis is fine…
Not your Piet’, Tim! I’m referring to the red one with its rad stuffed under its Model A stove. Or is that NOT the Piet’ that Ava is learning to fly in? What’s going on here: bait & switch? This better not get political: that’s banned from this here forum for good reason. I don’t know how you could politicize radiator placement, but there are those who could, lurking about in the ether.
I was being facetious, which is pronounced fuh-see-shuss (which happens to be today’s word). Piet’ purists think the rad should be mounted on top (they also don’t like “Piet” and prefer we pronounce the whole name, but that’s a lot of tapping on the wee iPad), and it’s an ongoing debate, so I was facetiously (there’s that word again) making note of that.
Okay Ava: what are Jains? I looked it up and all I could find is an Indian Hindu sect that doesn’t wear shoes: pretty ironic if Jains is a brand of footwear...and I’m not being facetious about that!

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
Not your Piet’, Tim! I’m referring to the red one with its rad stuffed under its Model A stove. Or is that NOT the Piet’ that Ava is learning to fly in? What’s going on here: bait & switch? This better not get political: that’s banned from this here forum for good reason. I don’t know how you could politicize radiator placement, but there are those who could, lurking about in the ether.
I was being facetious, which is pronounced fuh-see-shuss (which happens to be today’s word). Piet’ purists think the rad should be mounted on top (they also don’t like “Piet” and prefer we pronounce the whole name, but that’s a lot of tapping on the wee iPad), and it’s an ongoing debate, so I was facetiously (there’s that word again) making note of that.
Okay Ava: what are Jains? I looked it up and all I could find is an Indian Hindu sect that doesn’t wear shoes: pretty ironic if Jains is a brand of footwear...and I’m not being facetious about that!

I seem to remember seeing period pics of a Pietenpol back in the 30s or 40s with a similar chin radiator arrangement, if might even have been something by Bernard himself.

Reactions: Ava

Ava

Jains are Indian but not Hindu. As I understand it (being a high school senior and neither Indian nor a Jain) they believe in a "zero-sum universe" that has always existed and will always exist. They believe that there are a finite number of souls that are reincarnated upon the death of the current host. So if a grasshopper dies and your aunt has a baby three seconds later, the soul that inhabited the grasshopper may now be in your little niece. They are vegetarians and don't use animal products (like leather shoes) because the cow killed to make the shoe might have once been your late great Uncle Herman.

Which is why it's important to not chop up grasshoppers with that big spinning piece of wood up front.

Ava

I seem to remember seeing period pics of a Pietenpol back in the 30s or 40s with a similar chin radiator arrangement, if might even have been something by Bernard himself.
According to the "Pietenpol (Build) Manual" that Andrew Pietenpol sells, the chin radiator was tested, but found to create more drag and not cool as well as the top mounted radiator. It also requires a water pump, which is recommended but not required for the top mounted radiator which can use the natural circulating effect of warm water to function (except for in extremely hot weather).