• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Simple Retracts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcrae0104

Supporting Member
I recently became aware of the Cvjetkovic CA-65 through one of Atomic Sheep's posts. It has a relatively simple retractable main gear. It is hand-operated, apparently driving the worm screw seen in section A-A below. As I have never gotten into retract design, I have a few questions about it:

1. What sort of a backup extension system would be possible with a mechanism like this (or if you had a motor driving the worm gear)?
  2. I see how the diagonal 2-bar strut works in tension under side load. However, loads from the opposite side appear to be reacted at the main pivot and the locking latch at the top. There doesn't appear to be much structure at the lock, and this could be a large reaction. Am I missing something?
  3. It appears that the gear would be manually locked and unlocked using a Bowden cable. Is this typical of a hand-operated gear?
Also, is anyone here flying on a cantilevered-strut, coil spring type gear similar to this (retractable or fixed)? I am curious how it works out in practice since there is no damping mechanism.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Back