Simple pusher pseudo-jet

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

BBerson

HBA Supporter
Small diameter propfan is best out on a pod. Behind a fuselage, the small fan would be fully immersed in the turbulent and partial reverse flow wake.

Tiger Tim

Two seat, no N number - what can you tell us about it?
Far as I know it’s a (the?) Sadler Vampire 2. It seems to fit the “I need a SIPA Minijet but with a prop” requirement pretty perfectly. With a little cosmetic work it would also make a pretty good stand in for a scaled DH Vampire.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Far as I know it’s a (the?) Sadler Vampire 2. It seems to fit the “I need a SIPA Minijet but with a prop” requirement pretty perfectly. With a little cosmetic work it would also make a pretty good stand in for a scaled DH Vampire.
No N number, not an ultralight. Has it flown?

BJC

Tiger Tim

No N number, not an ultralight. Has it flown?
I thought it had, but I only know it by name and quickly googled a pic to post. I don’t see any compelling reason why it wouldn’t, though whether it meets performance goals is anyone’s guess. Wikipedia confusingly says that the prototype was lost in a post-crash fire in 2008 but that the design was introduced at AirVenture in 2009. The company folded somewhere in all that.

Interestingly they also developed an armed, V8 powered single seater to sell to the militaries of small countries.

Erik Snyman

If we are talking about actual replicas of early jets, I have to put in a plug for the Hawker Sea Hawk. The twin intakes and "pen nib" exhausts actually lead to a single Rolls Royce Nene centrifugal turbojet (49.5 in diameter). 75% scale would drop the 39' wing span down to 29' 3" and the 278 sq ft wing area down to 156.4 sq ft and allow for a about a 36" fan in place of the turbojet with the short inlets and outlets (both a little larger than scale) reducing friction losses. Of course, you'd need an interesting structure to route the longerons around the fan, but I think geodetic construction could work well here.
View attachment 93511 View attachment 93512 View attachment 93513
Just build a Squalus jet then. Looks very similar.
Erik in Oz

rickofudall

Late '60's when Burt built the original and offered plans. If you can find a copy of the original "Death Race 2000" that came out in 1975 there's a sequence with Burt flying it.

Riggerrob

The first few Vari Viggens had delta wings but no winglets.
Later Model 32 plans increased fuselage length, wing span and added winglets. Only a few Vari Viggens were built with winglets before Avri Eze and Long Eze were introduced.

Speedboat100

The first few Vari Viggens had delta wings but no winglets.
Later Model 32 plans increased fuselage length, wing span and added winglets. Only a few Vari Viggens were built with winglets before Avri Eze and Long Eze were introduced.

Wasn't VariViggen made out of wood ?

Latest posts

Group Builder