• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Simple Motorglider Concept

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello All,

With my new found free time of unemployment, I finally decided to sit down and crank out in Solidworks an idea I have had for some time. This is nothing more than a fancy napkin sketch and I rushed this in about 3 hours so it is a bit rough. I used the TLAR method and can focus a bit more on each component and refine them later. Also I want to run the numbers on this using Raymers book as well as help from this group. Fuselage construction will likely be similar to a Thatcher CX4 using the aluminum angle and bulkheads. I have the stab full flying like the MC-30, but I am not married to that idea so it may change to conventional. Wing spar is similar to a sailplane with overlapping spars bolted in place. In the CAD model the one hole through the spars was only used to give me a pivot point to constrain the dihedral angle; it is not the pin for the spar. I currently have a Briggs twin in the model, but I am more leaning toward the Pegasus O-100 but if the briggs can get the job done I may consider it.

I tried to keep the fuselage as simple as possible using conic sections and flat sections and will avoid compound curves as much as I can. Once I settle on an engine, I then can chop off the nose and design a proper cowl that is more streamlined. What I have now looks like a Curtis Jenny. I am aware the wings show negative incidence and did not bother to fix it. Also sorry Bill this is not an image of the flying motorcycle you were hoping to see..:devious:

Rough numbers are below:

Wingspan: 36'
Chord: 4'
Total Length: 18' 7"
Fuselage width at pilot: 28"
Pilot Height shown: 6'1" (Need to adjust CAD model for my height of 6'4")
Will design for a pilot weight of 225lbs (my weight)

Hows it look?

MG1 Assy - Front.jpg MG1 Assy - Rear.jpg MG1 Assy - Side.jpg MG1 Assy - Iso 1.jpgMG1 Assy - Iso 2.jpg

Back