• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Simple handmade propeller

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesethawa

Howdy. I'm new here and new to all this. I've been studying lightly about aircraft construction for a long time and wanted to build, but I never had enough confidence in my skills or the knowhow to do what I'm thinking.

Anyway, right to the point. I can't afford a propeller. I'm going to attempt to build my own simple propeller for an ultralight plane. I'll test it before I try to fly, obviously.

To construct it, I'll take numerous identical, knot free wood strips, and drill a hole exactly in the center. The strips will then be set onto an aligning pin, rotated a small but specific amount, glued, and clamped up. The layers will be alternating between hickory and some lighter wood like pine or poplar. Once it's set clamped for some time, the leading edge of the prop will be routed over round, and all the corners will be hand sanded away.

I'll test them by bolting a go kart engine to a fence post, and leaving it running at full throttle for a while. Here's some crude pictures for an example. Sorry I suck at drawing.

I would appreciate feedback about this.

Attachments

• 20200921_140743.jpg
    20200921_140743.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20200921_140746.jpg
    20200921_140746.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 20200921_140750.jpg
    20200921_140750.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 1
Back