Silver Paint & Radio Waves

Discussion in 'Instruments / Avionics / Electrical System' started by Flyhighdave, Nov 10, 2016.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Nov 10, 2016 #1

Flyhighdave

Flyhighdave

Flyhighdave

I am building a wood airplane with several internal antennas. I have a paint scheme, which I like very much, that has the primary color as silver.
    It has occurred to me that this paint, which I believe contains metal , may interfer with radio waves getting to & from the antennas. Does anyone have any knowledge of this? Thanks! David

2. Nov 10, 2016 #2

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Not a good idea.

IIRC, the so called "silver" paint contains aluminum. If so, it can certainly affect the radio waves.

Either use a non-metallic paint or put the antennas outside the fuselage.

3. Nov 10, 2016 #3

TFF

TFF

TFF

Most people do not have problems. Plenty of rag & tube with internal antennas. Usually ground plane is a worse problem. I know the wrong metallic paint will mess up older radars.

4. Nov 10, 2016 #4

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

My Taylorcraft not only has the traditional layer of UV blocking silver, but is painted silver on top of that. It has an internal antenna feeding a simple handheld (low power) radio and works great.

5. Nov 10, 2016 #5

N8053H

N8053H

N8053H

I thought all paint was made with metals some more then others. I would ask is this an antenna with no ground plane or one that uses a ground plane?

6. Nov 10, 2016 #6

Pops

Pops

Pops

I have used internal copper foil antennas since 1980 and have never had a problem in wood and tube and fabric airplanes . Most of the time they out performed the expensive store bought antennas. I have made copper antennas for com, vor, outer marker.

7. Nov 10, 2016 #7

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Aluminum dust in paint probably is embedded in insulating resin. A layer of conductive carbon fiber would be different.

bmcj likes this.
  8. Nov 10, 2016 #8

Himat

Himat

Himat

There is difference between ”metallic paints” and ”radio absorbing paints”.

Aliminium powder is used to get “silver” paint and make paints opaque, that is really stop light from passing through the paint. Now, these aliminium particles are small, and I guess for the most have a thin oxide layer that make the surface non conductive. Those metal particles will then not make a conductive layer. With the metal particles being small, even more so compared to the wavelength of the radio, they will not affect the signal that much.

“Radio absorbing paints” like on military equipment is a different story, and a different mix.

9. Nov 10, 2016 #9

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

^^^ What Bberson and Himat said. The granules of aluminum powder tend to be isolated by the clear paint matrix. It does not form a continuous conductive layer to block signals. If you want to test that yourself, stick an ohmmeter on a layer of silver and check for conductivity.

10. Nov 11, 2016 #10

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Just about anything near the antenna is going to affect your signal. ...the aluminum in your dope, control cables, wing struts, wiring, other antennas, etc.

IMHO, your best bet is to start with a well built (homemade), well designed antenna, polarized the right way (vertical for COM, horizontal for NAV), with a good counterpoise\ground plane and good quality, low loss, short as possible coax with good quality connectors. Mount it in the best place you can and it'll probably work fine.

...or, walk into your local ham club and ask them the best way to put an antenna in your airplane. They're like EAA guys, they'd be happy to help.

NM5XD

BJC likes this.
  11. Nov 12, 2016 #11

Flyhighdave

Flyhighdave

Flyhighdave

Thanks for all the comments & advise Homebuilders! I'm happy that most of you think that silver paint is not a big issue. I really like the silver based paint scheme I have & most likely will use it. I'm still a ways off from paint. I have followed Jim Weirs instructions on how to do the antennas & am going to hook them up to an SWR meter to see how the antennas, coax & connections test out. Thanks again. David