Sidestick control vs control yoke vs panel-mounted control wheel

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Daleandee

Then when I first flew a VW powered airplane, for the first 10 or so takeoffs, I keep saying "Left rudder, left rudder", being so used to using right rudder without thinking about it.
Yep ... my Corvair powered Sonex likes a bunch of left rudder when rolling the power on to leave planet Earth!

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
Makes sense (I fell off a tractor once when I was a kid).

When I was learing how to fly, one of the most difficult things for me to learn was "PUSH the throttle FORWARD to Go". Pretty much everything else that I had ever driven up to that point was "PULL the throttle BACK to Go". Tractors, boats, dirt bikes, snowmobiles. Heck, even my wife's brand new BMW has "Push to go reverse, Pull to go forward" on the gear shift. Pretty much everything I'd ever driven was set up so that power was cut if the persons hand wasn't on the control. Safety, I guess...

There were a lot of times early on that I'd be on final and would reduce the throttle when I meant to add power. That gets your attention.

I've been flying for nearly 20 years now. I still make a conscious and determined decision of "PUSH to Go" every time.

- Pat
Many boats are push to go and any good sailor can work a wheel or a tiller. It's easier if you understand the reasoning.

Lots of students struggle with the rudder pedal thingy, especially the weight shift trike versus conventional airplane rudder/tail wheel.

I thought the weight shift trike versus airplane roll control would always be an issue but it is not. It is just different.

Daleandee

Learning different controls isn't difficult but it can be embarrassing. My first few minutes on a Z-turn was fun until I remembered that someone said to think "shopping cart" ... that made it very easy!

I remember years ago learning to operate a Gradall with the telescoping boom and pedals on the floor to turn the cab left/right and the others to open/close the bucket. It wasn't difficult to learn but there were a few moments that were quite embarrassing ... :eek:

Dan Thomas

Many boats are push to go and any good sailor can work a wheel or a tiller. It's easier if you understand the reasoning.

Lots of students struggle with the rudder pedal thingy, especially the weight shift trike versus conventional airplane rudder/tail wheel.

I thought the weight shift trike versus airplane roll control would always be an issue but it is not. It is just different.
Never seen a boat that had a pull-to-go throttle. Every outboard with remote controls is push-to-go. Every stern drive, too. Every jet boat.