• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Side-valved Two strokes for angels.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niels

Two stroke engines without valves are dying fast.
Two strokes with exhaust valves sell very well for ships.
It is great fun for an old man to see if exhaust-valved two strokes can be useful in aircrafts.
I made a PPL forty years ago and cancelled it when money went low 36 years ago.
It was always a feeling of there must be a better way of turning propellers without making so much noise and pollution.
Let me try to argue using two plant sizes:

80 horsepower at 2400 rpm/1,7meter prop.Direct coupled
40 horsepower at 3000 rpm/1,4meter prop.Ditto
The difference in vibrations beween a six- and a four-cylindered C-172 was real.
A friend sold aircrafts with two cylinder ,boxer HKS engines and that was unpleasant.
Mass balance is almost perfect so the difference comes from the unsteady torque between engine and propeller.
A two cylinder boxer two-stroke is a beast as well.
A 90 degree V2 two stroke can be shown to be between a four and a six cylindered fourstroke in torque variation so that is my dream concept.
Pistons are not really suited to control exhaust and normal valves has been formidable for this job.

Back