Shoulder wing unpopularity

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

BJC

HBA Supporter
Janowski J-1B.

Although it would be a bit better if the wing is a couple inches lower. In this view the wing is right at eye level. Would be better if the pilot could look over the top of the wing, IMHO.

Has anyone flown an airplane with the wing at eye level?

I have always thought that having the wing at eye level would be the best position for visibility, because of the sight lines just above and below the wing and the ability to bank to clear the view blocked by the unbanked wing.

BTW, the J-1B, -5, and -6 are among my favorite designs.

BJC

Last edited:

Aerowerx

ye level would be the best position for visibility, because of the sight lines just above and below the wing and the ability to ball to clear the view blocked by the unbanked wing.
I have put considerable thought into this problem.

What I came up with was the wing just below eye level and swept back (leading edge) at about 15 to 20 degrees. And positioned so that where the leading edge meets the canopy would be right at the seat back.

stanislavz

HBA Supporter
I have put considerable thought into this problem.

What I came up with was the wing just below eye level and swept back (leading edge) at about 15 to 20 degrees. And positioned so that where the leading edge meets the canopy would be right at the seat back.
A sketch ? Cant imagine how longeron will go here..

Aerowerx

A sketch ? Cant imagine how longeron will go here..
Longeron? Or do you mean spar?

The spar would go just behind the seat, integrated with the bulkhead and fuselage framework.

Essentially just like the J-1B except with the leading edge swept back. I don't have any other sketch.

Last edited:

stanislavz

HBA Supporter
.. and this Gentleman is the inspiration for my craft, albeit not a mid wing nor dual rudders.

The Ward Skite, designed in the early 1960's, would love to know if anyone actually knows if it ever got built ...
A nice one, and up to topic. To my opinion - any craft with spar after your seat is up to this topic. And it could be done like this (and shorter nose using more modern engine.. ) :

Quote from here : http://www.angelfire.com/ks2/janowski/other_aircraft/Sorrell/ Some learned and wise EAAer once said that you can't design a good homebuilt without putting a little Wittman into it.

And some more :

And question: moving from lycoming to a kind of modern engine in rotax 912 class, and fuel tanks to wings, after spar - Where pilot head would be ?

Last edited:

stanislavz

HBA Supporter
Need to make a sketch - but, i think shoulder wing structuraaly should be limited to pilot head popping up from fuselage in a kind of canopy 300mm height, and wings are mounted to upper longerons. And strut going to landing gear in tri gear configuration.

And one avoid more problems, than create...

Going strut-less or placing wing not in top fuselage longerons, will not produce nice and compact structure..