Should we have kit manufacture subforums?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
I,personally,would like to see 2 things on HBA....but this is just me talking.

1. A space on the forum for individual designs.
Yes,there are dedicated sites for most aircraft out there but some have been orphaned...the Ragwing Stork thatvim building being one.

2. A section with individual states.
The members would be free to add themselves to the state that they are located in and list their project.
It would be easy for other members to click the state and find out if anyone is close to them and building something.
There may be someone very close to you and you never realized it.

Kevin

tspear

@cheapracer
@Vigilant1

I likely (ok I did) overreact. On some other forums; there are some pretty intense debates with generations blaming each other. Likely does not help that there have also been multiple articles discussing the same. I let these debates carry over and color my perception...

Tim

tspear

On other groups that I frequent, I see complaints about HBA rules.
I personally am harrassed by a moderator here on hba, so really no incentive to come here.
Then don't :D

Actually, HBA tends to be one of the better managed forums I visit.

Tim

proppastie

Log Member
On other groups that I frequent, I see complaints about HBA rules.
I personally am harrassed by a moderator here on hba, so really no incentive to come here.
Other groups talk about us.....interesting......that harrasment might save your life if you listen.

tspear

I think HBA should have an "other design" forum. If a specific model gets enough threads, consider making a sub-forum it.

Tim

wanttobuild

Why do we need management?
This is the Internet. IMHO it should be in everyone's interest to be allowed to speak freely.

tspear

Why do we need management?
This is the Internet. IMHO it should be in everyone's interest to be allowed to speak freely.
As others have stated. This is Jake's house. He built it, he set the rules, and he (along with a few others) enforce them. Mostly it seems through gentle reminders.
And like you said, if you do not like it. Go somewhere else; or start your own forum.

Tim

narfi

Personally, I would like to see sub-forums for each type, or at least each designer/company.
Search here sucks, for example I know in the last week there have been at least 2 videos posted for flight testing a newly built hi-max, but I cant find it.

Lots of times I have wanted to research threads here on specific models and have been unable to because it is impossible to find them.
If they were in their appropriate sub forums then I could scroll through easily and read each one about the specific model I was researching.

My vote is yes, lets use this like a forum and not like an archaic mailing list.

proppastie

Log Member
lots of the others have very, very low post count
.....maybe it is just the threads I watch, but I notice a somewhat small number of the same people here posting.....if the sub forum idea might bring new blood in it could be worthwhile.

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
BJC......yes,i realize that the profile allows you to add that information.
But searching through each individuals profile in hopes of stumbling across someone close is extremely frustrating and very time consuming.
I just thought that having a straightforward list of states with members that have voluntarily added their name would be helpful for others to find them.

Kevin

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I liked email lists for groups with infrequent posts, I don't have to check every day but get notified of anything new. For busy groups (like this one) the forum software is better.

Winginitt

I see no downside to starting a different "Category" and then welcoming any group that would like to come on board. It should be Kit or Plansbuilt though. With the demise of Yahoo groups, an inquiry to many of these groups might be a great option to them. Really well established groups like Van's obviously wouldn't be interested, but HBA could become the "go-to" site for many additional builders who would then become more involved in the general HBA site. Some would probably flourish and others not so much......but when searching for information generically on the internet, many more people would see HBA pop up as a source of information for some esoteric airplane. I think its an opportunity that should not be ignored.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
I liked email lists for groups with infrequent posts, I don't have to check every day but get notified of anything new. For busy groups (like this one) the forum software is better.
Yes, it would be nice if you could email subscribe to individual subforums instead of the whole forum. (maybe you can?)

cheapracer

Log Member
Prop
I stated Personal harassment
Locking threads
Accused of trolling multiple times
I've been kicked up the azz a few times by the Mods over the years, and everytime I deserved it.

Been forum'ing since 1999, the Mods here are the most reasonable and approachable of any forum I have been a Member of, and often give long rope to numbers of threads.

lakeracer69

Be careful what you ask for. When all the bells and whistles are in place, you may be asked to pay to view this forum at some point. All the "extra" nice things that don't really add much to the day to day viewing could be the cause.