Should we have kit manufacture subforums?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Should we have subforums for the various kit manufactures out there?

Have a dedicated Sonerai, Sonex, etc forums.

Just starting the process to see if there is any interest.

BJC

HBA Supporter
I subscribe to https://glasair-owners.com/ and consider it the “go to” site for all Glasair designs. Almost all data known about Glasair Aviation aircraft lives there. I would not be interested in a Glasair / GlaStar / Sportsman subforum here.

It may be useful to have subforums for designs without an existing, dedicated site.

BJC

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Those forums probably exist elsewhere.
I think several here would like a new small engine sub-forum for industrial engines. Briggs, Honda, Generac, etc.
The small engine yahoo forum is going away.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
There have been other attempts to gather various types under one forum, mostly without success if there's already an active forum elsewhere. To be successful, the entire type community has to want to migrate. HBA's niche is more generic and non type specific.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
HBA's niche is more generic and non type specific.
And more theoretical, development and engineering based. It is why I come here, along with the type specific forums.

If the admin/management/owners want to branch out into a full hosting platform for the various groups related to aviation to me that is a whole different animal.

I'm not against the idea, just don't personally see the need.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
We've tried to shy away from any manufacturer-specific forum, both in aircraft and in engines. What could we do in a Van's forum that Van's Air Force isn't already doing, for example?

The only place I could see this as being potentially useful is for "orphaned" designs, with the demise of Yahoo! Groups. But most of them are finding their own dedicated hosting, and not looking to be part of another, larger, community.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
To be successful, the entire type community has to want to migrate. HBA's niche is more generic and non type specific.
But if a type community did want to migrate (say, they are newly orphaned by Yahoo, etc), they could do a lot worse than coming to HBA with a small subforum.

On some of these fora, the manufacturers have an official role, while other groups are only owners/interested parties. I think the latter kind of group would be a better fit for HBA.

Rik-

But if a type community did want to migrate (say, they are newly orphaned by Yahoo, etc), they could do a lot worse than coming to HBA with a small subforum.
I know on the Yahoo newsgroup for the Quickie Q200's there were a few offers to migrate to a web based platform and they stuck with an email style forum like yahoo had in the form of groups.io

To each his own. At least it's not Facebook

proppastie

Log Member
the home page would be very much larger if we did that,...what might be nice is a sticky with links to the various different locations.....however google also works...so maybe there is not much need.

pictsidhe

I'm ok with the idea. It's only one more category for the home page. I agree that it's probably only worth doing for orphans or new designs. We are already the Ranger forum!

cheapracer

Log Member
Rec Flying have this and it has an up and a down.

Of course it draws similar minded owners to chat with each other, and I guess importantly to find previous info threads with some ease (especially if you have a crap search engine .. cough cough).

The down side is I feel those same people are drawn away from the main sub forums/geneal topics.

So good and bad.

brands.jpg

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
There is a hodge podge of forums for different manufactures right now. Some are of course huge, like Vans. No use trying to foster that. However, lots of the others have very, very low post count and among those the software they are using is frankly garbage, so it's no wonder they are nearly dead.

Yahoo Groups is shutting down, people are migrating to another service but it's a no growth format. It's pretty much people 55+ that want to stick with the newsgroup format. That's fine but we all know there is a decline in pilots/aviation interest, I think sticking to the newsgroup format further alienates younger pilots or people interested in aviation. They want at least a format like this.

Last edited:

cheapracer

Log Member
I think sticking to the newsgroup format further alienates younger pilots or people interested in aviation. They want at least a format like this.
Yup, todays short attention syndrome Younger set want fast scrolling, lots of fast loading pictures and videos to go with easy to read text.

Just a fact.

gtae07

The newsgroup format is terrible. If you think people are bad about trimming quotes here, use newsgroups. Searching is awful, formatting gets goofed up, moderation is much more difficult, etc.

Cheapracer says “fast loading pictures and videos to go with easy to read text” like it’s a bad thing, but really, isn’t clear and easy to understand information what we all want?

cheapracer

Log Member
Cheapracer says “fast loading pictures and videos to go with easy to read text” like it’s a bad thing,
What I said was specific towards incoming, younger Gen audience, or you will not keep that audience.

It was in context to the statement concerning younger Gen that I replied to.

tspear

What I said was specific towards incoming, younger Gen audience, or you will not keep that audience.

It was in context to the statement concerning younger Gen that I replied to.
Starting a generational warfare does no one any good.

Web formats replaced newsgroups for the most part because they are more usable and friendly.

Tim

wanttobuild

On other groups that I frequent, I see complaints about HBA rules.
I personally am harrassed by a moderator here on hba, so really no incentive to come here.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Starting a generational warfare does no one any good.
Observing that people of different ages may have different preferences in how they consume information is hardly "generational warfare."