• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Should I replace PVC wiring?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcurcio1989

I feel somewhat dumb and ignorant to admit this snafu but somehow I missed the memo on automotive vs aircraft wiring, I think it was one of those you can't know that you don't now what you don't know things. I'm very comfortable with automotive wiring and with this being my first aircraft project I didn't realize the differences. I should have done better reading. Anyways after basically finishing up my wiring I was wiring up the flap controller and it mentioned tefzel wiring in the manual.

I used automotive grade pvc insulated wires throughout. Trying to debate if I should redo everything. I used 16ga wire throughout, uninsulated crimp on terminals with heat shrink tubing after the crimp, labeled everything well, ensure wires are fused well below there capacity. etc. The engines wiring harness basically came pre wired so this is all accessory and instrument wiring. It is an open cockpit vfr craft so its is hard for me to emphasize the importance of a standard designed for pressurized ifr crafts compared to what I'm working with. I take pride in knowing I did something properly.

This is one of those areas where I could spend several hundred dollars on Crimpers, terminals, wires, doing everything over and I am not really sure it is going to make me any better off. I can bite the bullet and view it as practice / learning experience but I'm looking for a reason why.

I can't imagine I am the first person to do this.

Back