• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Should I buy "Theory of wing sections?"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustind

I am wondering if I should I buy the book "Theory of wing sections," by Ira. H. Abbott.

I have both of Daniel Raymer's books "Aircraft Design a Conceptual Approach," and "Simplified Aircraft Design for Homebuilders." I also have "GA Airfoils" by Harry Riblett, and I am about to order both of Hoerner's Fluid Dynamic books as well. I can easily get any common NACA profile and performance data from computer programs or the net. Is there anything in ToWS that is not covered in the other books? Would the book still be useful to me?

I am also wondering if anyone can recommend a book on landing gear design. So far I am looking at one of Tony Bingelis's books (Recommended by Mike Arnold) or the one from Aircraft spruce titled "Landing Gear Design For Light Aircraft."

I also have Peery's, Bruhn's, and Shingley's books. As well as "Stress Without Tears," by Tom Rhodes and "Engineering Mechanics of Composite Materials," by Isaac M. Daniel and Ori Ishai, as it was recommended over Tsai's and Hahn's composite book by a few people.

Does anyone have an opinion on Bruce Carmichael's book "Personal Aircraft Drag Reduction?" Should I get that one as well?

Is the book by Burt Rutan "Moldless Composites Sandwich Homebuilt / Aircraft Construction" of any value to someone who has already done several layups?

I had started this post wondering about one book, but I kept on finding more books that I was interested in when I looked for the authors name.

Back