• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Shoestring

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geraldmorrissey

I've been building a bone stock Shoestring for a long time. The elevator to horizontal stab hinge fittings are a concern. Threaded rod with a 90 degree bend at the horizontal stab, a clevis bolt on the elevator. No provisions to restrict rotation of any of the details. All wood structure. Want to keep the wood structure but need some ideas on some options on the hinge details. The stock arraignment seemed to work fine under racing conditions but the origional was a racer, not meant to last. it's the only part of the airframe that gives me pause. Back in the early 80's Ray Cote also expressed concerns to me about this design. At the time he was flying "Judy" but it had a AL horizontal stab, elevators and a different hinge arrangement. It also had a 3" fuselage stretch fwd of the wing and a 3" stretch aft of rhe wing. May consider that but needs much further consideration. Any comments on the empennage hinges appreciated. This will be a sport aircraft not a racer. I can provide much more detail per the prints.
Thanks
Gerry

Back