Shipping Parts

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by lake_harley, Dec 3, 2015.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Dec 3, 2015 #1

lake_harley

lake_harley

lake_harley

Has anyone here ever used a shipping bid service called uShip? I guess it's a bid process where people transporting items bid on what they'll charge to take a package from Point A to Point B. I think there's a reality show, or there was, about this very thing. Maybe it was called Bidding Wars, or something like that?

The potential package is too large for UPS, and the online truck freight quotes were sky high.

Thanks, in advance, if you've ever used something like this and have an opinion about using such a thing.

Lynn

2. Dec 3, 2015 #2

don january

don january

don january

Lynn. I have'nt heard of Uship but I'm sure there is companys along those line's. I've moved a couple planes across country before and the insurance was the big pain, and price. I personally found it better for me to haul the birds myself, depending souly on my own auto insurance for damages that might occur. Either way it was a risk, but I'd rather be the responsable party. Picture 035.jpg

3. Dec 3, 2015 #3

TFF

TFF

TFF

There was Shipping Wars; the people on the show I would not let carry my trash. Too much show biz fakery. I believe most of this is throwing something on the truck when space is available for X amount when the load is payed for. I know shipping for spruce or chrome moly is pretty painful in long lengths. If it is a boxed item, Greyhound Bus takes bigger than UPS for about the same money.

4. Dec 3, 2015 #4

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Never actually used them but I did get quotes for 2 potential purchases, both project cars, that I ended up not buying. Shipping quotes were very reasonable, I thought, considering that neither vehicle could move under it's own power.

I've also received longer and heavier items via FedX than UPS will take.

5. Dec 3, 2015 #5

lake_harley

lake_harley

lake_harley

I checked Greyhound and the box would be longer than they ship. I went to FedEx's website and it seemed to require logging in, creating a password, blah, blah....so I didn't take the time to mess with it. I guess I will though, just to satisfy my curiosity.

Maybe I'll just look at uShip for something going where I need to ship to and go into the shipping business.:think:

Thanks.

Lynn

6. Dec 3, 2015 #6

pwood66889

pwood66889

pwood66889

Ya know, Lynn, it is one of Wood's Wonderous Rules that "The only people that reliably make money on home built airplanes are the shipping companies."
    Face it - a plane is larger than a bread box..., er, at least the person carrying ones. And though they can be built out of small parts joined together, the more joins one has the higher the chance is of one of them failing. In fact, inspectability is part of design process for anything successful. And the old 'glue up test strips to break validating the joint' trick.
    So size is a guarnteed problem. Weight also becomes an issue, as well as some one being at the address shipped to (companies charge more to go to "your" door than to a business because their truck will pop by the second you run out for a pack of butts {Another reason to stop...}).
    So I wish you luck on the shipper quest. Zat for that -042?
    Percy

7. Dec 3, 2015 #7

lake_harley

lake_harley

lake_harley

Thanks Percy. Actually the possible shipment is an empennage.....kinda big one.

Lynn

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  8. Dec 3, 2015 #8

jmt1991

jmt1991

jmt1991

I had a friend use U-Ship last year to ship a '66 Chevy he had purchased, to his house.
    The price was reasonable, the car arrived on time and undamaged.
    Check it out, I don't think it costs anything to register or get a quote.

Marty

9. Dec 3, 2015 #9

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

I've used Greyhound for many items (I don't think they can handle vastly oversized items)... cheap and same day for shorter runs (~600 miles). You want to make sure that fragile items are crated and protected well, and you want someone at the receiving end because they are not a delivery company.

10. Dec 3, 2015 #10

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Something along the lines of a scaled down Uber has a lot of potential. I know I've towed empty trailers across the country and would have gladly towed a loaded trailer had there been a way to connect with someone that needed freight moved.

11. Dec 3, 2015 #11

12notes

12notes

12notes

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Don't confuse "reality TV" with actual reality. They search for the worst possible people to put on air, and present it as if it's typical. They are looking for conflict, not competence.

One of the first reality TV shows, Survivor, had the first season clearly show that being able to start a fire was critically important, any sane or rational person who was interested in being on it would definitely learn this before going. But not one person on the second season knew how to do it, or even had good theories on how to accomplish it. I'm not sure where they find people for these shows, they must cap the IQ at 80.

I wouldn't base an opinion about the shipping company on the show.

12. Dec 3, 2015 #12

PTAirco

PTAirco

PTAirco

I only tried U-ship once and the quotes were outrageous. Granted, it was an odd shaped item; two aileron pushrods for a Fairchild 24 - these things were more than 12 feet long, I think. But you could have stuck them anywhere, even on a fully loaded truck. They wanted upwards of $300.

13. Dec 3, 2015 #13

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Yeah howdy, ain't that the truth!