Shipping a Rotax 670....

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
If this thread belongs in the 2-Stroke section please move it.......

I'm about to ship my Rotax 670 in Kentucky to Rotax Rick in Florida....which lead me to a question.
Anyone have suggestions on how to package this thing for shipment ?
It is going to be painted up nice and pretty when he gets through with it so I don't want it to get scratched up on the way back....
Plastic cooler ?
Build MDF box ?
Plastic storage container ?

Kevin

TFF

Does he have recommendations? Otherwise I would build a support mount for the engine mounts directly on a pallet. Next would be using the shipping expanding foam in a box, then strapped to a pallet.

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
TFF......the engine was shipped to me originally bolted to a small wooden base inside of a cardboard shipping box with foam padding.
To say that they beat the p*ss out of the package is a major understatement.
That package had been flipped on its side and even inverted from looking at the marks.....along with being crushed.

The engine is being built and painted this go around and I want it to arrive back to me in a condition that doesn't require me to post bail and face future court issues stemming from actions against a delivery driver.

Since we have a cabinet shop at work...I'm thinking about asking the guys to build a box that is just big enough to set the engine in.....bolting the engine to the base....and screwing the top on the box.
They can flip the thing whichever way they want and the engine shouldn't move because it's bolted down.
If I'm lucky the guys will have time to build that for me.

If all else fails........maybe a cooler ?

Kevin

SuperSpinach

Hello,

I think building a plywood box would be the best bet.
It reminds me when I bought my granite surface plate. It was firmly attached to a plywood base raised with 2 2X2". Then a top cover was screwed to the bottom, protecting the last 5 sides. The box was filled with some kind of styrene foam. The plate arrived in one piece.

quick582

Call Rick, He has very specific instrictions on how to ship. DO it his way! Basically you will buy a cooler ( he will tell you which one at Wal Mart) and cargo straps. Seems like overkill, but even with that mine came back with a bent mounting stud! The shippers are brutal.

TFF

The problem is you are shipping something way too light. If it’s heavy no one will mess with it. Too much work. Also size. If it’s too big to flip in a hole, they won’t try and stuff it. All bad jokes aside, everything I stuck on a pallet still had a big box around it; no free air shipping. If a cooler is the perfect box, good for you. I built a box to ship a helicopter transmission like the factory used. The boss goes, what’s that going to take, an hour to build? Yeah, no.

Hephaestus

I'd go with Rotax Rick's instructions if it was me.

That said, I notice my BRP dealer has some nice engine crates sitting in the back lot... I bet they'd part with one for beer :)

Richard6

I have shipped several 500CC Rotax engines. Make a sturdy 2X4 frame that is about 2" wider that the engine on all sides. I used 2x2 lumber for four vertical post and then joined the four of them above the engine with more 2x2's to complete a frame.

Make sure you add two 2x4's in the middle of the frame at the bottom to bolt the engine on too.

Then I added 3/8" thick plywood on all four sides and also on top. I cut hand holds in two of the side plywood pieces on opposite sides so it could be lifted. As I don't know how much a 670cc engine weighs, if it's over 75lbs, you may have to add some form of consideration for loading with a fork lift.