Quantcast

Sheet Metal Engine Mount?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Tiger Tim

I’m curious, is there any precedent for a sheet metal engine mount? What I’m picturing is a semi-monocoque fuselage that just keeps going past the firewall and instead of being strengthened to take the attachment loads for a steel engine mount, it carries the engine directly instead. Yes, there would need to be some means of access to the engine’s accessories and surely it would need doublers and whatnot as you get closer to where the engine bolts are.

Has it been done before, especially on a light plane? I’m not looking to copy anyone’s work here but a little inspiration is never a bad thing.

TFF

I have never worked on one, but in a certain way is the Bonanza partially like this?

Tiger Tim

Well that’s nifty how the Bonanza has the engine cradle tied in to the nose gear keel.
1593223288734.jpeg

How about examples where the engine is radially mounted by the back of the case, like a small Continental, or a VW, or any number of radials?

Chilton

I have never seen the cone type, but the Cessna 206 and 210 use a sheet metal bed mount very similar to the bonanza, it is one o the problems with the Thielert conversion which was planned as the bed mount had to be cut off.

Victor Bravo

The NAvion also had a similar sheet metal/rivet engine mount, which also handled the nose gear pibot if I recall.

Several of the small designs on the "Motorcycle of the Air", "21st Century Volksplane", and "Piojo" discussion threads have an engine mount that is nothing more than an extension of the fuselage structure. This looks like it works extremely well with the little V-twin industrial engines, which have lower crankcase mounting holes.

rv7charlie

In the homebuilt world, the Questair Venture has a sheet metal bed mount for the IO550G engine. Never seen it done for a small Contenental/Lyc rear mount, though. My best guess for a reason is access to accessories. If you box in the back of the engine....

Charlie

Mad MAC

I can't remember (mosquito maybe) what but some WWII aircraft with a RR merlin had a riveted engine mount initially (riveted tube & folded rivet sheet).

The extended fuse approach does make changing the engine make or model a bit more difficult.

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
Hummel aircraft typically use a bed mount incorporated as part of the fuselage. Some builders go ahead and use a steel mount instead, but both 1/2 VW and full VW are supported in the Hummel designs.

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
Hummel aircraft typically use a bed mount incorporated as part of the fuselage. Some builders go ahead and use a steel mount instead, but both 1/2 VW and full VW are supported in the Hummel designs.
The bed mount is only for the 1/2 VW in the Ultracruiser, both the Hummelbird (1/2 VW) and H5 (full VW) have a conventional 4130 engine mount with no bed mount option.

I think the Ultracruiser bed mount is aluminum angle bolted to engine, which is bolted to aluminum angle side rails of the fuselage, but I may be mistaken.

EDIT: Sorry, I was wrong about the H5, it is a bed mount.

Last edited:

Billrsv4

I’m curious, is there any precedent for a sheet metal engine mount? What I’m picturing is a semi-monocoque fuselage that just keeps going past the firewall and instead of being strengthened to take the attachment loads for a steel engine mount, it carries the engine directly instead. Yes, there would need to be some means of access to the engine’s accessories and surely it would need doublers and whatnot as you get closer to where the engine bolts are.

Has it been done before, especially on a light plane? I’m not looking to copy anyone’s work here but a little inspiration is never a bad thing.
Tim, I didn’t check all the replies but there was a well known vintage aircraft with a sheet metal bed mount. The P51 Mustang had one. Don’t remember which version. I believe there were tubular versions also. The Questare Venture also used a oilpan/sheet Metal mount. So yes it certainly can be done.
T.O. Bill

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
The bed mount is only for the 1/2 VW in the Ultracruiser, both the Hummelbird (1/2 VW) and H5 (full VW) have a conventional 4130 engine mount with no bed mount option.

I think the Ultracruiser bed mount is aluminum angle bolted to engine, which is bolted to aluminum angle side rails of the fuselage, but I may be mistaken.
Well, my H5 plan set from 2008, on sheet 2 clearly details the engine box (bed mount) for the full size VW engine. Another well known Hummel builder who's local to me, did use a welded mount, but the built in bed mount is clearly what Hummel has in mind for the H5.