Sheet aluminum storage?

Discussion in 'Sheet Metal' started by 12notes, Sep 30, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Sep 30, 2017 #1

12notes

12notes

12notes

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I'm starting my build, and since I don't have a working truck at the moment, I will try to pick as many aluminum sheets as I can at one time with my friend's truck & car trailer. So I'll have some sheets that sit around for a while.

How is everyone storing alclad sheets before they cut them to avoid bends and scratches? Rolled, flat, on it's side? Paper between layers or removable contact paper? Any designs for a good rack system that doesn't take up much room?

After cutting the parts, how do you store them if you don't use them immediately?

Thanks,

2. Oct 1, 2017 #2

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

if they are flat I would keep them flat, dry, against the wall upright, if no plastic on the sheets, I am not sure if paper, or moisture absorbing interleaving is good or not, depends on where and how much moisture in the air. Scratches can be a problem with handling, I can not imagine a scratch free polished aircraft, but they are out there. Maybe construction plastic between the sheets, cheap and big box store has it. I do not worry about it. As to finished parts I throw them in a box in the corner.

3. Oct 1, 2017 #3

Winginit

Winginit

Winginit

If you are buying sheets that have no plastic covering on them, there is a good chance they may already have handling scratches on them. Most metal warehouses have a roll of thin cardboard that they can cut and place between each sheet of aluminum. I know when you buy something they will usually give you a piece to place between things. Whether they will give you some to go between every sheet is something I don't know. They will probably want to load all your sheets at one time, or move a pallet over by your trailer and slide each sheet onto the trailer. Usually when you move your trailer inside, you can stand there and kind of direct/help with the loading. The cardboard is excellent for protecting the material while in your shop, and it can be used to make patterns later.

4. Oct 1, 2017 #4

MadRocketScientist

MadRocketScientist

MadRocketScientist

Canterbury, New Zealand, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy.
    I have had sheets with plastic that are scratched before the plastic was applied!

The main thing with storing aluminium is to keep it dry at all costs. It can be hot or cold and it will be fine if its dry, but if it gets wet it will corrode. I have had the start of corrosion on the alclad layer under the edges of pvc mask due to moisture.

5. Oct 1, 2017 #5

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

The biggest problem I have is wind. It picks up sand and dust and no matter how well protected the sheet is it gets a layer of dust on it. It's just a fact of life around here. Plastic sheeting helps, paper just traps the dust. So my general rule is to NEVER slide the sheet. Pick it up to move it and brush it off every time.

I often break my rule....and pay the price. :emb:

6. Oct 2, 2017 #6

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

paint hides lots of little scratches,

MadRocketScientist likes this.
  7. Oct 2, 2017 #7

fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila

I have stored sheets for up to 20 years flat on shelves. with only the paper interleaving and have only seen corrosion starting at some of the edges where it apparently got a bit damp. As has been mentioned, keep the stack covered or the dust will settle on the top. The timeframe I mentioned was back when I was living in Arizona.

Fred

MadRocketScientist likes this.
  8. Oct 2, 2017 #8

MadRocketScientist

MadRocketScientist

MadRocketScientist

Canterbury, New Zealand, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy.
    Some of us like building shiny planes, paint is plan B ;)

Efliernz likes this.