Sheet aluminum over fiberglass?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

piepermd

Hello, all!
I am endeavoring to make my 3/4 scale P-51 replica’s interior as faithful to the original as possible. Previously there were just some leather and fabric panels screwed into thread inserts in the fiberglass cockpit walls. I would like to attach thin aluminum panels instead using epoxy Click Bond studs, and rivet these to faux longerons and fuselage frames. Then I would have a framework on which to attach items such as the control pedestal and the switch and fuse panels. I have just completed a 3-D scan of the cockpit interior and now have it surface modeled in SolidWorks. My concern is the gaps created between the fiberglass and the new aluminum inner cockpit skin. I imagine this is an area that could retain significant moisture. Is there a material that could be sandwiched between the gaps? I am also wondering what thickness of aluminum to use such that there would be minimal deformation of the panels and yet add as little weight as possible. I’d certainly appreciate ANY input about this idea! Here is a couple of photos of the stripped cockpit to give you an idea.
BC46F44C-56F8-495E-BD05-CB8DFC59F435.jpeg7FAC654C-999E-491E-8D9C-794F2BA8D8B6.jpeg

pfarber

HBA Supporter
They sell aluminum colored paint. Use glass and flox to mold your interior then paint it.

D Hillberg

Get the accessory and other P-51 gadgets for the sides to doll it up. use .018 sheet the top lip bent outboard.
(It's not flat in the real thing map cases and mission equipment) and use screws with small spacers glued in place to let air circulate behind the sheet metal. and you can hide that chain too

If you ever put new floors in the real P-51 you'll find ways to put in the outer edge screws in place and torqued down (the original floors are put on the wing before the fuselage is put in place)

piepermd

I thought the floors were 1/4” Douglas fir plywood attached by brackets to the lower longerons.

D Hillberg

I thought the floors were 1/4” Douglas fir plywood attached by brackets to the lower longerons.
I wished, Aircraft structure had many electrical / equipment junction boxes that attached to those longerons,
below that by 1/2 inch was the floor attach structure on the wing with the fuel gages just below the plywood floor.
Hours of fun for a number of screws... (When you're young and stupid) But it paid good.

piepermd

That’s not really the cockpit floor but the floor below the floor.

Yellowhammer

Hello, all!
I am endeavoring to make my 3/4 scale P-51 replica’s interior as faithful to the original as possible. Previously there were just some leather and fabric panels screwed into thread inserts in the fiberglass cockpit walls. I would like to attach thin aluminum panels instead using epoxy Click Bond studs, and rivet these to faux longerons and fuselage frames. Then I would have a framework on which to attach items such as the control pedestal and the switch and fuse panels. I have just completed a 3-D scan of the cockpit interior and now have it surface modeled in SolidWorks. My concern is the gaps created between the fiberglass and the new aluminum inner cockpit skin. I imagine this is an area that could retain significant moisture. Is there a material that could be sandwiched between the gaps? I am also wondering what thickness of aluminum to use such that there would be minimal deformation of the panels and yet add as little weight as possible. I’d certainly appreciate ANY input about this idea! Here is a couple of photos of the stripped cockpit to give you an idea.
View attachment 96835View attachment 96836

WRONG GRIP TYPE.

piepermd

CONTROL GRIP WRONG TYPE Too many buttons
Research more about what you want to mimic .....
I am still in the very early stages of the cockpit rebuild process. That is the previously installed control stick and will be modified. Thanks for the heads up, though!

Yellowhammer

The stick grip on the P-51 Models employed a simple black grip with two buttons. One for communication and the other button was the trigger. Black in color.