Quantcast

Shavrov SH-2

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

flitzerpilot

In my view, only the inverted in-line motors look right on the Chiltons, starting with the French Train engine. The Mikrons always resulted in nose-heaviness and years ago I sketched a variant with the cockpit several inches further back. To my eye it looked superb.

Just for interest, here is a period colour scheme which I devised at the request of the builder of a Chilton being constructed in the UK. It follows previous Chiton schemes in general, with a few variations including the double zig-zag on the lightning flash.

Attachments

Chilton

Unfortunately moving the cockpit wont work on the Chilton, the wing forms the seat and thus sets the position. The Mikron often result in lead in the tail for balance and total weight becomes an issue.
I am still looking for a Train engine for mine, failing that I may yet go with the Pegasus O-100, after all the original company looked at producing them with the JAP flat twin, Ranald Porteous fitted GH with the Lycoming so there is a lot of history.
Personally I would rather hav the weight and power right, get an aircraft which flies well and let others worry about the looks while I enjoy the flying.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Have you considered a 3-cylinder Suzuki conversion with a chin radiator or even a wing radiator? Lighter than a Mikron but still has the in-line look.

Chilton

The Suzuki conversions I have seen are all up in the 85 to 100 hp range, if there is a conversion out there which could be run direct drive for 60 hp or something like that I would certainly take a look.
Unfortunately my background is mostly Gipsy Queen, Major and Minor, and Cirrus Minor, with an occasional older Lycoming so I need guidance around auto conversions.

Victor Bravo

The Raven company offered a Suzuki conversion in the 58-60HP range, based on the the 3 cylinder inline engine. It always seemed to be a reasonable candidate for the Chilton to me. The belt reduction drive also seemed completely tolerable, it provided the aircraft with a very "correct" profile to my eyes.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Vassili Tarakanov of Air Trikes posts here sometimes. His gearbox-equipped Suzuki G-10 3-cylinder conversions weight under 150 lb and put out 62-65 hp at a nice slow prop rpm.

Here is an example of a tightly cowled G-13 4-cylinder, the smaller G10 could absolutely look right for a Chilton.

See Air Trikes: Engines and Conversion Kits. for more pics and info.

Chilton

Thank you Matthew, I will take a look at the Air trikes conversion.

For those wanting the inverted engine profile it is worth remembering that 3 out of the 4 originals were built with upright engines! I actually quite like the nose profile of the Carden Ford aircraft.

To be honest however since building mine I have now aquired a family including a young daughter who wants to fly with me so I suspect either the Tiger Moth or Auster had better be priority number one, once the Chilton is flying again the daughter will probably want to borrow that as well!

Victor Bravo

so I suspect either the Tiger Moth or Auster had better be priority number one
It is absolutely mandatory for you to choose the Auster for this important mission :)

First, how could you possibly prepare your daughter for flying the flap-equipped Chilton - in a Moth without wing flaps? If you select the right model Auster, you will have the same type of "split flaps" as the Chilton.

Second, a proper Auster is capable of transporting a larger quantity of Chilton parts (cowlings, landing gear spats, etc.) than the Moth.

Third, and this should not even be necessary to mention, Mr. Porteous flew the Auster ! :)

Bill in Los Angeles (a former J-1 Autocrat owner)

robertl

Vassili Tarakanov of Air Trikes posts here sometimes. His gearbox-equipped Suzuki G-10 3-cylinder conversions weight under 150 lb and put out 62-65 hp at a nice slow prop rpm.

Here is an example of a tightly cowled G-13 4-cylinder, the smaller G10 could absolutely look right for a Chilton.

See Air Trikes: Engines and Conversion Kits. for more pics and info.
Ok, what is this cute little all aluminum airplane in the pictrue?
Bob

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
It was a prototype for a very light aerobatic plane, both two-seat and single-seat versions, see the AirTrikes page in my post above for more pics and a little info. Here's a drawing from the same source. And now back to talking about Shavrov amphibians....

AIRCAB

It was a prototype for a very light aerobatic plane, both two-seat and single-seat versions, see the AirTrikes page in my post above for more pics and a little info. Here's a drawing from the same source. And now back to talking about Shavrov amphibians....

In my quest for info on the SH2, I was able to find a russian site, mostly files, and after poking around there I found the technical repair manual and pdf versions of books that were published. I have to did that stuff up.