Quantcast

Shavrov SH-2

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

spduffee

Just an FYI - A real Shavrov SH-2 builder has joined the yahoo site I mentioned earlier. He is in St Petersburg (Russia) and is beginning now with the boat section after doing intensive investigation from 2011 onward. I'll ask him if he want to join HBA and share his stuff directly.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Just an FYI - A real Shavrov SH-2 builder has joined the yahoo site I mentioned earlier. He is in St Petersburg (Russia) and is beginning now with the boat section after doing intensive investigation from 2011 onward. I'll ask him if he want to join HBA and share his stuff directly.
That would be great! Personally, I would be more interested in an original modern design inspired by the Shavrov SH-2 than in a true replica, but I'd love to learn more regardless. A modern microlight version of the SH-2 (495 kg gross, 100 hp max per European regs) would be a very different beast at little more than half the weight of the original with better power-to-weight, but I think it would still be great fun.

Dmitry_SPb

Hi there also! Matthey, the microlight version of Sh-2 will be completely different aircraft. Sh-2 has a very thick wing profile. It will be completely different project. Later I will tell it in details. Meanwhile, in the 1933 technical description one chapter is about future modifications. (View from 1933, of course).
2 Aircab: It is "Donatsia" project by Shavrov. Not "donation". Shavrov was avid entomologist, he had a huge collection of insects. Donatsia - is one of the insects classes. After the war he designed a project of one-seated, full-metal amphibian. It was aiming for few thousand production quantity and seems to be very cheap (all details stamped from duraluminium). If you want, later I can translate the page from encyclopedia.

Dmitry_SPb

Sh-7. Was build only one. Was very sucсessful, but war stopped all plans. Used on Volga river from Gorky to Astrakhan up to 1942. Had experience of meeting with german fighters. Burned in action near the Stalingrad in 1942.Sh-7.jpg

spduffee

I was wondering if I would be able to use a non-radial engine in an SH2, but after seeing that inline (Ranger?) I see that would be a huge mistake...

Attachments

Dmitry_SPb

Yes. It is very interesting story. This plane was build by one musician from Gorky (now Nizhnii Novgorod) in 80's. After crashing of USSR it was stored in bad conditions, and finally was sold to present owner. He reconstract the plane, and after couple of seasons he decided to change the engine to M-11FR (Old - Walter M337 aircraft engine).368_1514kvNaveHtu7Uc (1).jpgDSCN6131.jpgDSCN6223.jpgDSCN7504.JPGDSCN7712.JPG01099_09-52-39__001.jpg

Dmitry_SPb

I told with this musician by phone (to find him was a detective story. Now he is old man. One day I'll tell his history. It is interesting :). With new owner we are corresponding through reaa.ru forum (link was indicated above).

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter

AIRCAB

Matthew Long of Clutton Fred has brought up the Shavrov SH-2 here and in other fora and now I can't get it out of my head. There are some materials available in Russian, but of course no plans, as it was never intended as a homebuilt. There is a document written by the designer, in Russian, that is rich in information. I have contacted a few folks here in the Seattle area about translating the 182 pages, and it gets pretty pricey. Would anyone be interested in forming a sort of Groupon situation to fund the translation? Or is anyone capable of translating it into English, for compensation? View attachment 36593
I have always been fascinated with this aircraft. Have done reaserch on it, lots. I managed to find a PDF of the technical manual, and it provides a table of offsets, similar to boat hull construction. Also in the history documents there is reference to a smaller Shavrov design, never built. I had a co worker that was a Russian MIG21 pilot, convert the specs and comments on that aircraft for me. It's the aviation technical lingo that most Russians do not understand.

Riggerrob

It looks to me like an iron clad.
Dear Joe Fisher,
Hah!
Hah!
I have seen the Eastman in the museum at Pat Bay/Victoria International Airport. It was assembled with parts from two or three Eastman airframes that worked the British Columbia coast for a few years.
The hull is made of sheet aluminum with rivets that are larger than normal diameter.
Overall, it is a typical biplane flying-boat with respectable performance on a 120 horsepower radial engine. Hull lines are more graceful than a Supermarine Walrus.

Riggerrob

I was wondering if I would be able to use a non-radial engine in an SH2, but after seeing that inline (Ranger?) I see that would be a huge mistake...
Dear spduffee,
As photos show, at least on Sharov was converted to an inline engine and flew.

Your question reminds me of a conversation with a friend who is building a Chilton DW-1. He was trying to chose between the original Ford, Rotax, Jabiru or Walter inline engines. He said that theWalter inline engine was longer. This put the engine's centre-of-gravity farther forward of the firewall, so required careful calculation of the new balance. A few Chiltons have been flown with Walter Mikron engines.