Quantcast

Shavrov SH-2

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

spduffee

Matthew Long of Clutton Fred has brought up the Shavrov SH-2 here and in other fora and now I can't get it out of my head. There are some materials available in Russian, but of course no plans, as it was never intended as a homebuilt. There is a document written by the designer, in Russian, that is rich in information. I have contacted a few folks here in the Seattle area about translating the 182 pages, and it gets pretty pricey. Would anyone be interested in forming a sort of Groupon situation to fund the translation? Or is anyone capable of translating it into English, for compensation? View attachment Shavrov_Sh-2 book.pdf

Autodidact

Al Stix has a restored one at Historical Aircraft Restoration Museum at Creve Coeur in Missouri.

spduffee

Al Stix has a restored one at Historical Aircraft Restoration Museum at Creve Coeur in Missouri.
Yes, that's right, thank you. I wrote to him (email), but Thanksgiving came along. Hopefully he can help. He/they imported one directly out of the Soviet Union.

SVSUSteve

Matthew Long of Clutton Fred has brought up the Shavrov SH-2 here and in other fora and now I can't get it out of my head. There are some materials available in Russian, but of course no plans, as it was never intended as a homebuilt. There is a document written by the designer, in Russian, that is rich in information. I have contacted a few folks here in the Seattle area about translating the 182 pages, and it gets pretty pricey. Would anyone be interested in forming a sort of Groupon situation to fund the translation? Or is anyone capable of translating it into English, for compensation? View attachment 36593
I have a few friends who speak Russian. I will ask and message you if any have the time to do it.

Hephaestus

You might try posting on Elance for a translator - I had an instruction manual translated last year - from Chinese to real English (is better than the google translation provided by the manufacturer) it cost less than the beer I consumed trying to decipher the original English manual...

ultranomad

Hello everyone, a friend from this site has just told me you need this manual translated. I am a professional translator with 29 years of experience, a native speaker of both English and Russian, and an actively flying CPL/IR approved to perform line maintenance on my acft. I don't promise to do it cheaper than other translators you'll find, but I can certainly promise the very best quality.
Update: The book uses archaic aviation terminology, and the language is quite informal, nothing like today's technical writing. In all fairness, it would really take an aeronautical engineer or a pilot to translate it properly.

Last edited:

spduffee

Ok thanks Ultranomad, I appreciate your coming forward. I may be on to an affordable lead, someone who contacted me last night. I hope it works out and that we can all learn more about this great aircraft. I will PM you though, to get some more info from you, regarding the translation.

spduffee

SH2 Folding Wing.jpg
Since I don't yet have any details on the SH-2, I was wondering how the folding wings function. I am sure there are similar modern solutions that could help me better understand this type of wing folding. Does anyone have a good reference handy? IS it as simple as detaching the struts at the fuselage, pulling a pin and folding the wings? Wouldn't there be a significant force on the hinge-point? It looks, from this and other photos, as if the wing rests on the tail?
Thank you,
Shawn

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Since I don't yet have any details on the SH-2, I was wondering how the folding wings function. I am sure there are similar modern solutions that could help me better understand this type of wing folding. Does anyone have a good reference handy? IS it as simple as detaching the struts at the fuselage, pulling a pin and folding the wings? Wouldn't there be a significant force on the hinge-point? It looks, from this and other photos, as if the wing rests on the tail?
Thank you, Shawn
Ah ha, great minds think allike!

Jan Olieslagers

Izhvk.jpg

That folding mechanism looks much like my Apollo Fox - a Kitfox derivative, or so I am told. Yes, the wing hinges on a single bolt after removing a single 8mm pin. And the bird travelled 1300 kms on a trailer behind my van, with the wings folded like that and no extra support.

spduffee

Olieslagers,

Does the Fox have two struts or one? Would you be so kind as to take some detail photos of the two connection points, top and bottom, if you still have the plane?

Thank you very much!

Jan Olieslagers

Search the www for her registration and you will find clear images of the strut configuration. It will however be several weeks before I visit the airfield again, lots of work before me and small hope of flyable weather - don't hold your breath for the requested images.

PS the Eurofox is of almost identical construction.

Last edited:

spduffee

Thanks, I was not aware of this site. I will be sure to check it out.

Tried to register myself - couldn't even do that successfully. Kept getting a message - Verification question is wrong. I think they mean Answer is wrong. Everything is in English except for the last 3 or 4 segments, which are asking for name and verification...

Last edited:

spduffee

The text also says it's a Shavrov. I think it's the Predecessor of the SH2, being the SH1. He did design a smaller unit, but there is not documentation of his work. I can't explain the date, 1948, because that would be 15 years after the SH2...

Google translate says: Shavrova donation project with the engine, the M10

BTW, the woman translating the SH2 manual is "taking a break". She was up to pg 73 of 180. But I can't build one now anyway....

Last edited: