• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

shaving

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vortilon

My project will be skinned with .020 T3 attaching to .020 T3 ribs. I have been agonizing over the dimpling process because of the limited flange width of the rib caps. I was thinking of just using button heads. I have done considerable work on aircraft that had back shot rivets and shaved heads on the exterior of the skins. Most of these aircraft were Douglas and it makes a nice looking product. Has anyone ever tried this with MS20426 AD-3 rivets in light structure, I don't mean back shooting but countersink say .016 deep and then shave them? Seems to me it would give the same results as installing NAS 1097 AD-3 if they were available which they are not. The head depth of a -3 is .036 and it would give half of the tensional strength that could be made up for with adding fasteners. The ribs already have about 1.5" spacing on the existing fabric clip holes.

Attachments

• MS20426[1].pdf
    278.9 KB · Views: 433
Back