Sharing My 3D Printed Grip With PTT Switch Design

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

dwalker

So I printed a pair of these, and they came out really well. I have a couple of easy to fix issues. The first is the grip is sized for someone with a larger hand than I have, so operating the buttons comfortably with my thumb requires shifting my grip a bit. This can easily be fixed (for me) by simply reducing the overall grip size by maybe 10%, or the switch "box" could be shifted slightly forward over the forefinger.
The second is the 1" shaft. My plans originally call for a 1/2 control stick, which I have upsized to 5/8ths, and could sleeve that to 3/4", but 1" seems really large.

Otherwise, its a great design. Cost me maybe 3 or 4 bucks. The "fuzzy" skin setting in Cura along with a slightly larger layer givers a really great hand feel.

Attachments

• 20220220_105232.jpg
    20220220_105232.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220220_105238.jpg
    20220220_105238.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220220_105250.jpg
    20220220_105250.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220220_105254.jpg
    20220220_105254.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220220_105322.jpg
    20220220_105322.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220220_105348.jpg
    20220220_105348.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 12

kent Ashton

Really like your black version. Could you post a 2-view drawing (side, side)? I will try to make one out of that ancient noble material, hardwood. I think you could sell these, though. I need one with the upper knob offset (left) for a right-seat Cozy. The current knob would likely hit the side of the fuselage.

Thanks so much for doing this. I printed all three out for size yesterday. I also used the new "Fuzzy" surface feature of PRUSA Slicer on one grip and really like the results! I printed at 0.3 draft height and happy with the both the quality and speed. To print all three at once took about 8.5 hrs using PLA+ filament. I haven't ordered any buttons for the the grips yet. I am a little concerned about how far I have to move my thumb to activate either PTT or trim. Maybe I have short thumbs, but I'd prefer to have the head "face" moved forward about 1cm to 1.5cm in the plane of the face.......if that makes since. If not, I may try and use an STL editor to move it myself.
After printing both of them, I agree completely. First my hand reasonably well but the reach to either button makes it a non starter. Can that face of the head be moved towards the stick axis at least 1.5 cm as suggested? Also agree that 3/4 and 7/8 stick diameters would be useful.
How did others get the models rigged for slicing? I had to rotate 90 degrees in one axis to stand the grip up then 7 degrees on another axis to make the hand rest "flat" on the printing plane...?
Otherwise, love it!

dwalker

After printing both of them, I agree completely. First my hand reasonably well but the reach to either button makes it a non starter. Can that face of the head be moved towards the stick axis at least 1.5 cm as suggested? Also agree that 3/4 and 7/8 stick diameters would be useful.
How did others get the models rigged for slicing? I had to rotate 90 degrees in one axis to stand the grip up then 7 degrees on another axis to make the hand rest "flat" on the printing plane...?
Otherwise, love it!

I used Cura's "select face to align with build plate" feature to select the bottom of the base and then positioned as I wanted it on build plate.
I might try moving the switch "box" forward a bit, I generally use Fusion 360 for this but I have a buddy that is really good with solidworks that might be able to help me with it. In general I prefer to not mess too much with someone elses design and instead simply offer feedback.

I used Cura's "select face to align with build plate" feature to select the bottom of the base and then positioned as I wanted it on build plate.
I might try moving the switch "box" forward a bit, I generally use Fusion 360 for this but I have a buddy that is really good with solidworks that might be able to help me with it. In general I prefer to not mess too much with someone elses design and instead simply offer feedback.
Unfortunately I use Slic3r and have not found that feature - if it is there. I will look for it though!

sonex293

Well I was hoping to pull the design files into FreeCAD to make changes. No luck there. I can get the STL, STP, IGES files into FreeCAD, but it is all one surface. I might try a few modifications with TinkerCAD, but it will be a lot more difficult with the interior wire routing channels for sure. The major two things I'd like to change is the make it compatible with a 7/8" control stick and alter the switch "head" a little for my ergonomics.

==
Michael

dwalker

Well I was hoping to pull the design files into FreeCAD to make changes. No luck there. I can get the STL, STP, IGES files into FreeCAD, but it is all one surface. I might try a few modifications with TinkerCAD, but it will be a lot more difficult with the interior wire routing channels for sure. The major two things I'd like to change is the make it compatible with a 7/8" control stick and alter the switch "head" a little for my ergonomics.

==
Michael

Yeah I found the same thing opening it in Fusion360. I am looking for a convenient way to use the solidworks files in F360 but no luck yet