• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Sgian Dubh remodeled

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deskpilot

Morphett Vale, South Australia. Just south of Adel
G'day guys.

As is my way, I'm still looking for that one aircraft that is different and would be a crowd puller where ever it went. Well, this time I'm not using one of my own designs but have opted to look at Hugh Lorimer's Sgian Dubh. This little tailless aircraft grabbed my attention the first time I saw it and with Hugh help and permission, I've been applying a few mods to make it more powerful and with a cockpit big enough to fit my 6ft, 105kilo frame into.
I've replaced Hugh's small 2 cylinder 2 stroke Rotax with a Jabiru motor flat 4. I have access to a little used 1600cc version but would prefer the 2200cc. For extra room, I've widened the cockpit by 2" and raised the head area by about 8". There's no way I could fit into the designed 36" high fuselage.
To fulfill my 'need' for something totally different, I've added full retracts using a nose-wheel system designed by Hugh, and a rearward rotating set of mains similar to the Cessna Cardinal. Before you say it, yes, I'm fully aware of the small tolerance CG travel the plane will have and have ideas to counter it. Failing that, I'll have just the nose wheel tucked up and use Hugh's composit wood and Fiber glass unit.
The last tweak is the addition of removable luggage paniers. These will just take a swag (or a tent and sleeping bag), a change of clothes just to cover a weekend away, and the necessary toilet things.
So, As Hugh said to me this morning, I wonder what HBA would have to say about it. Please be kind as there are 2 of us looking forward to your remarks. (I know there are loads of modeling errors so don't bother to point them out. Ta)

001Full model top 2D.jpg 002Full model front view.jpg 003Full model bottom 2D.jpg 004Full model rear view.jpg 005Full model side elevation.jpg

006Full model top iso.jpg 007Full model top iso2.jpg 008Full model rear quarter.jpg 009Full model underside rear.jpg 010Full model wheels retracted.jpg

Back